Scott's Reviews > The October Country

The October Country by Ray Bradbury

4209547
Nov 16, 2011

bookshelves: favorites

"October Country... that country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and midnights stay". Ray Bradbury is legendary. And this collection of his early dark tales proves why. Ranging from quirky introspection to full out existential rumination, the power of his writing represented here is immediately felt through the seamless merger of his brilliant poetic language into very readable stories. This an absolute masterpiece that should be read by all fans of fantastical fiction. Exquisitely illustrated in b/w by Joe Mugnaini. Highly recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The October Country.

November 16, 2011 – Started Reading
page 352
December 1, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites
December 1, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen I've never read anything from Bradbury, but this one definitely has my attention. Now on my "want to read" list!

message 2: by Scott (last edited Jun 18, 2014 10:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott It is an amazing set of stories, darker in tone than some of his other collections. I found it a perfect read for those later days of autumn. Definitely a great place to start to get an idea of Bradbury's imagination.