Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー)'s Reviews > The Fall of Gondolin

The Fall of Gondolin by J.R.R. Tolkien

4919283
Image result for im ready gif

Image result for tuor

Image result for gondolin deviantart

This is one of my favourite parts of the Tolkien legendarium.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of Gondolin.

April 15, 2018 – Shelved
April 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 15, 2018 – Shelved as: wishlist-please-buy-it-for-me-every
April 15, 2018 – Shelved as: tolkien
April 15, 2018 – Shelved as: i-cannot-even
April 15, 2018 – Shelved as: yes-daddy-tolkien

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana Must.Have.This.

Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー) Ana wrote: "Must.Have.This."

UGH. This is too much of a wait.

message 3: by Karishma (new)

Karishma We will BR this when it comes out.

You still haven't replied to my PM which was a reply to your PM!

Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー) Karishma wrote: "We will BR this when it comes out.

You still haven't replied to my PM which was a reply to your PM!"

Sorry XD I sometimes forget there is a PM system. Will do so now. And yes, buddy read will be awesome!

Iryna semi-hiatus (Book and Sword) Is there an order in which to read these? Like The huron's children, and the other one that also came out last year (can't think of the name for the life of me)...

Iryna semi-hiatus (Book and Sword) *Hurin's (damn autocorrect)

Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー) Iryna (Book and Sword) wrote: "Is there an order in which to read these? Like The huron's children, and the other one that also came out last year (can't think of the name for the life of me)..."

Well, no need to read them in the chronological order of when they occurred because they are very individual stories. Technically speaking, Beren and Luthien have a granddauther who marriesthe Prince of Gondolin so they occur in the same age (There are 3 ages of Middle Earth). Children of Hurin occurs at a later stage (I might be mistaken) and is more of a Shakespearean tragedy.

So chronologically:
Beren and Luthien
Fall of Gondolin
The Children of Hurin

But my recommendation according to mood:
Beren and Luthien (very adventurous, bittersweet ending)
Fall of Gondolin (adventurous with a bittersweet ending)
The Children of Hurin (VERY sad, very very dark with a tragic ending)

Technically, they're all in either The Unfinished Tales/Silmarillion, but Tolkien's son has now "novelised" them.

They're all good as stand alones :) So just pick which story appeals to you most.

message 8: by Karishma (new)

Karishma Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Karishma wrote: "We will BR this when it comes out.

You still haven't replied to my PM which was a reply to your PM!"

I need to read Beren and Luthien also, are you done with that one?

message 9: by Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー) (last edited Aug 01, 2018 10:46AM) (new) - added it

Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー) Karishma wrote: "Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Karishma wrote: "We will BR this when it comes out.

You still haven't replied to my PM which was a reply to your PM!"

Sorry XD I sometimes forget there is a..."

Nope! I actually only had the money to buy it recently :) So I have it neatly packed in my Tolkien shelf. We could definitely BR if you'd like - whenever you have time.

message 10: by Karishma (new)

Karishma Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Karishma wrote: "Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Karishma wrote: "We will BR this when it comes out.

You still haven't replied to my PM which was a reply to your PM!"

Sorry XD I sometimes ..."

Okay once my FOTR read is over, I will tell you.

message 11: by Karishma (new)

You still haven't replied to my PM which was a reply to your PM!"

Okay then, I have replied to your PM. Would you prefer me to comment on your profile instead from next time?

Iryna semi-hiatus (Book and Sword) Jen thank you so much for that explanation - very helpful! I haven’t read Silmallirion yet, it intimidates me for some reason. But soon for sure! 🌱

message 13: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK You are a true Tolkien fan 🙂

You still haven't replied to my PM which was a reply to your PM!"

Sorry XD I sometimes forget there is a..."

No worries. I prefer PM :)

Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー) Iryna (Book and Sword) wrote: "Jen thank you so much for that explanation - very helpful! I haven’t read Silmallirion yet, it intimidates me for some reason. But soon for sure! 🌱"

No problem :) It' not too intimidating in small doses :)

Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー) Sumit wrote: "You are a true Tolkien fan 🙂"

Thanks! I think I have a problem XD

message 17: by Karishma (new)

Karishma Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal) wrote: "Sumit wrote: "You are a true Tolkien fan 🙂"

Thanks! I think I have a problem XD"

No No Not at all!

message 18: by Haniah (new)

Haniah how do i add pictures and gifs to my review?

Jennifer (Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー) Haniah wrote: "how do i add pictures and gifs to my review?"

It's quite complex! You're more than welcome to PM me and I'll explain.

message 20: by Saman (new)

Saman You know so much about these books like the chronological order and the 3 ages. I didn't even know there were 3 ages! 😅