Karla Strand's Reviews > Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, juvenile-ya-fiction

In full disclosure: this was one of the few books that I didn't finish. I was listening to the audiobook that I borrowed from the library and I ran out of time to finish it; I probably got about 3/4 of the way through. BUT I could've renewed it and I didn't. I kept hoping that it would get better and then I just had to surrender the fantasy. I get that I am not the intended audience for the book but I do enjoy YA books a lot, usually. This is not normally the type of YA book I would read but I had heard so much about it being a "Lord of the Flies" but with women and I love LOTF so yeah, sign me up! Um, it is so not a LOTF with women. It is comedic and silly and I just didn't love it at all. I don't think I liked it at all but perhaps I am just missing something? I wanted the darkness and desperation of LOTF. I wanted to question what I would do in that situation; I wanted to reflect on the nature of humanity and compassion in humankind. Yeah, this is NOT that book. I also wasn't a fan of the narrator, who I think was actually the author, Libba Bray. Again, perhaps this resonates with younger girls and I hope so, actually, because it does include diverse characters and storylines, however trite they might be, there is at least representation there. Really, I am just not the reader for this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.

April 14, 2018 – Started Reading