Jaclyn's Reviews > The Cleansing of America

F 50x66
Nov 16, 2011

it was ok
Read from November 16 to 19, 2011

I enjoyed the first half of the book more than the second half. The first half was a discussion on the events of the second coming of Christ and of the Millennium. The second half was an analysis of how the government run by Christ will function if guided strictly by the original Constitution. I enjoyed reading it, as it provided much food for thought and provided some very interesting ideas.

That being said, I don't necessarily agree with much of what the author said and I certainly don't take this book as doctrine. Skousen maintains an extremely literal interpretation of the bible and the Constitution, and it seemed to me Skousen reads the Constitution as scripture. I read this book hand-in-hand with my scriptures so I could look up all his footnotes and read the references for myself. As I said, Skousen's interpretations are very literal. He may very well be right in his opinions, but personally I believe the same scriptures could be fulfilled in a myriad of other ways known only to God. I feel most of the book was the author's own opinion.

Again, it did provide much food for thought, but I think it was mostly personal interpretation, opinion, and speculation. I definitely would not recommend it for anyone untrained in reading with a critical eye.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cleansing of America.