Trevor's Reviews > How It Happened

13662036

did not like it
bookshelves: 2018, apl, fiction, no-shit-sherlock, not-my-cup-of-tea, tlb

1.5*

Yes, I'm rating this harsh. No, I don't care.

To say that this was a disappointment is an understatement. Even when I discovered this was more like a police procedural than his usually bout of mysteries I still kept HOW IT HAPPENED on my TBR. I usually like PPs, I can roll with this. But this was pushing it.

Koryta knows how to keep his readers hooked- I'll give him that. With (bordering on unnecessary) short chapters, you feel compelled to finish if for no other reason than to get this over with. In the beginning, I was eager to know more about Kimberly, how Rob was going to get Mathias. Strong character development. But soon Liz is introduced (side note: it's starting to dawn on me that Koryta's female "sidekicks" are more-or-less interchangeable with one another. Blonde hair? Small breasts? Give it a rest.) & I couldn't stop rolling my eyes at their scenes. A bit too hopeful (suspend that disbelief & not just for them, either), but I've been told I'm a bitter bitch, so 🤷‍♀️😂.

I was aware that drugs would be a plot line in this novel, but I didn't realize it would overshadow the entire book. By the second half, this has the hints of a DEA manual (yes I'm not blind to my state's substance abuse problem or the lack of help that can be provided to those who desperately need it), but once things start to become clear, you know what the inevitable conclusion will reveal. (Hint: it's not even close to interesting or "different" & everything to do with convenient & mundane.) I thought more time would be spent on Mathias' trail, but no. We just got more of him & Liz (how much substance did that add?) or the story behind his mother's death, or him chasing Kimberly.

Because of this, the story lags. It's slow & the only reason why I finished this in a day was because I'm getting close to my summer hiatus & I want to wrap everything up. It's disappointing when it all falls together easily & to say anymore would be a spoiler. I also want to mention that I didn't care for Rob's character- he is, in my opinion, an unfeeling FBI agent. One who is there, does his job, grows uncomfortable with the facts & attempts to find the truth- but he is lacking passion, genuine emotion & conviction it will take to get justice for Ian & Jackie. It feels like he was destined to be the hero from page 1 & he didn't have a lot of obstacles standing in his way. (No, I'm not counting that "event"; most all PPs have events of this nature. No one has to agree with this statement, but he just left a bad taste in my mouth.) And that ending? Ugh.

I liked the other book I read from this author, THOSE WHO WISH ME DEAD. Hopefully Koryta will just stick to his more supernatural elements in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How It Happened.

April 14, 2018 – Shelved
June 4, 2018 – Shelved as: not-my-cup-of-tea
June 4, 2018 – Shelved as: no-shit-sherlock
June 4, 2018 – Shelved as: tlb
June 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Clare (new)

Clare Snow Never apologize for your opinion, harsh or not! :-)

Trevor Thanks, Clare. It's just a bit unnerving when you post the first 1* review of a book, especially when so many of my GR friends enjoyed it. Taking the plunge & going with my original rating, instead of rating up just to be on the "safe" side. :)

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Great review, Brooke! Hope the book you are reading now, is a five star!