Patrick McCoy's Reviews > Encounter

Encounter by Milan Kundera

Nov 16, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction, essays

Encounter (2010) is a short book of essays by the great Milan Kundera. I find his prose writing as impressive as his fiction writing. This collection is no exception and stands along his three other great books of essays:The Art of the Novel, Testaments Betrayed, and The Curtain. There are a variety of essays in the collection, but most of them have to do with art in one form or another and not just literature. As the son of a composer he has extensive knowledge of classical music and devotes some of the essays to this subject, and there is a long essay on the painting of Francis Bacon. But most of the essays focus on authors like Rabelais, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Carlos Fuentes, Anatole France, Patrick Chamoseau, Phillip Roth or works like Dostoevsky's The Idiot and Celine's From Castle to Castle. I think Kundera makes incisive insights about these subjects and has impeccable taste in his summations of literature. I cam away from this book looking to read Anatole France's novel The Gods Are Athrist, Patrick Chamiseau's Solibo Magnificent, and Curzio Malaparte's two great works Kaputt and The Skin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Encounter.