Akoss's Reviews > Love Like Sky

Love Like Sky by Leslie C. Youngblood

bookshelves: all-mg, colorinyamg, arc-for-review

@disneyhyperion #partner - I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Georgie and her little sister Peach’s parents got divorced and each parent has started building new lives for themselves while trying their best to keep things inclusive and sensitive to their girls. On one of their visits with their biological Dad, Georgie does something daring and a little selfish after which everyone's lives change for better or worse.

Love Like Sky reads like you're talking to your best friend or a confidante. The author's writing takes you deep into the characters minds and hearts, and doesn't let you go even after you've read the last sentence.

This is such an intricate and complicated story. Blended families that stemmed from one or multiple divorces remain in the realm of impossible for me. But I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Georgie and her family and friends. I enjoyed seeing that when everyone does their best, things can work out (mostly). I enjoyed seeing how tremendously hard it can be to navigate feelings of not belonging or wanting to belong without letting said feelings cloud one's judgement.
People's actions sometimes are misguided because of how much they love and care for someone but usually that love is the magic that keeps families together (blended or not).
Love Like Sky is about family, love, and how much better life is when we surround ourselves with people who care about us and support us. Some kids wish for their parents to part ways, other kids want their parents to stay together no matter what. Learning to deal with the feelings of disappointment when things don't go the way they were supposed to is a huge challenge. I'm grateful Love Like Sky exists to provide some support to kids out there going through similar life challenges.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Like Sky.

April 14, 2018 – Shelved