Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

bookshelves: favourites, lgbt, young-adult, romance, contemporary

THIS BOOK.

I know I'm late to the party with this one, and I have no idea why it took me so long to read it.

From cover to cover this story was adorable and made me feel all gooey inside. I read the entire thing with a smile on my face, the story, the characters, everything was just so much fun to read.

I devoured this book. the mystery of 'who is Blue' is what instantly had me hooked and kept me racing through the pages.

And while it is fun and cute, and hilarious at parts, the story is so relevant and real. Simon's conversational narration opens a window to the thoughts of so many LGBT+ teenagers and young adults reflecting how being gay, even today, can be hard.

The story reflects how people can be downright awful, and how we live in a society where people react differently when the default is challenged. However, there shouldn't be a default. Who's to say what's right and wrong? And that's exactly where Becky Albertalli hits the nail on the head.

“Why is straight the default? Everyone should have to declare one way or another, and it shouldn't be this big awkward thing whether you're straight, gay, bi, or whatever. I'm just saying.”

Yes, there was homophobia and bullying when Simon was outed, but there was also SO much support and love from people around him.

Simon was such a fun, lovable character and perspective to read from. It was as if I were reading from his diary, his narration was full of witty comments and sarcasm while also shedding light on his insecurities.

I also guessed who Blue was and I was right! But, I was so happy about it. The emails and then finally Simon and Bram's conversations and moments together all so cute and is what made me enjoy this book so much.

It was such a quick read that I'm left wanting more. However, it concluded perfectly. Overall Becky Albertalli has created an amazing story. It's honest, it's relevant, it's adorable. It's such a wonderful and diverse book which I think everyone needs to read at some point (read it now).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda.

April 14, 2018 – Shelved