Zach's Reviews > Persepolis Rising

Persepolis Rising by James S.A. Corey

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read February 23, 2018 to April 2, 2018.

Just when The Expanse was starting to feel a little stale, the Coreys throw us a curve ball: it's 30 years later now, Holden and friends are all old, and Duarte's coming out of the gates with alien tech and plans for galactic empire. Credit where it's due, this does shake up the standard formula (which by now is so far removed from the space-station-noire that launched the series that it's hard to remember what made that book so good), and breathes new life into the story of the protomolecule and the gates.

Some of the characterizations and plain delightful, especially the bumbling proto-fascist governor of Medina who it's so fun to hate. But others, like the crew of the Roci, are so well-trod that it's obviously becoming difficult to make them interesting, even 30 years later and under bizarrely different settings. They feel like old friends about whom we already know everything. And others, like transport union chief Drummer, remain one-dimensional despite desperate attempts to inject humanity into her with a love interest, pet peeves, health complaints, and the like.

Obviously I'm going to keep reading (and mostly enjoying) these books, that's a given. But I do take moderate, proportional umbrage at the rapidly multiplying pile of novellas the Coreys are churning out that I will never read. I understand wanting to milk this successful series for everything it's worth, and it does seem churlish to harp on about the relatively rapid pace of releases in this series, but guys: cmon. Nobody cares that much about Amos's origin story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persepolis Rising.

Finished Reading