Alexandrea Furr's Reviews > Gold Shadow

Gold Shadow by L.C. Perry

Earlier this year, I received an eMail from L.C. Perry requesting a review of Gold Shadow. In her synopsis, she introduced me to Ebony, a slave girl who is rescued by a group of rebels against the crown. As an Anti-Human Trafficking Advocate, I was intrigued. Many who are familiar with this blog may recall my passion for abolishing modern slavery. People should not be bought and sold like animals, so to read a book about a young woman who escaped this horror was exhilarating to say the least.

This is a story that is set in duel perspective - Ebony, a newly rescued slave who is learning what it means to be free and Irene, a naive princess who's only concern is her 17th birthday celebration. When Ebony hatches a plan to kidnap Irene, war breaks out. It is up to these two girls to salvage what is left of their dying country.

I LOVED this book. The story captured my heart from the first chapter and would not release its hold on me until the very last sentence. I am still reeling from the events that unfolded. While, Ebony and Irene are both admirable in their own way, one of the minor characters, Scarlet, was the one who caught my attention and quickly became my favorite. She was forced into some situations that even Ebony never had to endure in her time as a slave. She is shy and soft spoken for the most part, but can be set off like a firecracker if you provoke her or threaten her friends. I admire her spirit and strength. She is someone to keep an eye on when reading this book.

Now, I want to talk about Ebony and Asher. After Ebony is rescued, she is taken to a base camp of rebel operations. Each of the escapees are assigned a mentor to help them adjust to their new life, and Asher was assigned as Ebony's mentor. Both of them are snarky and sarcastic to a fault, so they obviously did not hit it off in the beginning of their working relationship. Although I cannot go into too much detail due to spoilers, I can say that I am a total 'Ashny' shipper. Every time Ebony would insult Asher, I would think to myself, "You know you are crushing hard, Eb. Stop playing." And every time Asher would taunt Ebony, I would think, "Ughhhh...just kiss her already!" Alas, I digress. You read it for yourself and decide if I am wrong for shipping these two.

As for the author's writing style, I have to say that it was enjoyable for the most part. There were a few times that were rocky and did not flow as easily from scene to scene as it could have. That is the only reason this book is not a perfect five star rating. Although, I desperately wanted to rate this as perfect, I knew I would be lying to myself and readers if I did this. However, I wholeheartedly love this book and recommend it to anyone who enjoys good dystopian novels like The Maze Runner, The Giver, and The Fifth Wave.

A special thank you to L.C. Perry for sending me this book. And if you would like to see more reviews like this one, go to www.blondewithbooks.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gold Shadow.

April 13, 2018 – Started Reading