Jennifer's Reviews > Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Nov 15, 2011

bookshelves: 2012-reads, my-wishlist, genre-science-fiction, age-young-adult
Read from February 12 to March 04, 2012

I have once again been enamored with a dystopia world, ladies and gents. Under the Never Sky is a brilliant display of a futuristic, sci-fi dystopia full of dangerous electricity, virtual reality, raging cannibals, and a paradise among the ruins.

Aria is a seventeen year old girl who lives in the virtual realities that are held within the Reverie dome. She has never left the confines of this dome, but instead has traveled to a lot of different places through the virtual "realms" technology, which allows any wearer of a "smarteye" to transport all of their senses to wherever they fancy--the beach, the mountains, or Aria's favorite, the concert hall. Her mother, Lumina, is a scientist who is researching something so big she cannot even tell her daughter anything about it. When Lumina has to leave to travel to another pod, all seems to be okay, until communication with that pod goes down and Aria can no longer reach her mother.

So, in complete desperation for news from her mother, Aria devises a plan to get information, which involves getting on the Consul's son's good side by flirting with him enough to get her included on his next secret adventure--sneaking in to the forbidden (and damaged) Ag. 6 food storage center. Madness, fire, a Savage, a brutal fight. And the next thing she knows, Aria is being dropped outside, in the middle of the desert, where dwellers can not survive.

The Savage, otherwise known as Peregrine, is a hunter with special "enhanced" senses, including the heightened scent, the rarest of them all. He has seen the devastation that the aether storms have caused and sees the desperation his family has had to turn to in order to continue surviving. Yet when he challenges his brother's actions after Talon--his nephew--is taken by the dwellers, Perry leaves his home to try and make things right.

These two people, from completely different backgrounds, are brought together in the most extreme of circumstances. And though the pretty much hate each other, they know that they need each other, too. Aria needs Perry to survive in "The Death Shop", and Perry needs Aria to help him find Talon. Together, they set off on a journey that they never knew was coming.

This is a story set in a dystopia world that is divided into two types of people--the dwellers (who live in the technology domes) and the outsiders, who live out in the open lands. This is a novel about these two worlds colliding, which is a somewhat cliched idea in YA fiction. Yet this novel does not come across as any sort of cliche, which I think credits Rossi's unique storytelling abilities. Here we have the two main characters, and through them the dystopia word is built in a way that we understand the things about each side of the world. And knowing about each of their pasts really allowed me to fall in love with both of these characters. And to watch their relationship spawn from the complete hatred they have for each other to a very solid romance, well, it's one of the best I have read in a while.

There were a couple of things that I would like to know more about. Like the aether storms...where did they come from? And what exactly are they? I am hoping that this question, along with questions about what happened to make the world this way, will be answered later in the series.

I would encourage lovers of dystopia and/or science fiction to pick up this book and read it soon. It is definitely one of the best 2012 debuts I have read, and it is very high on my list of favorites for this year. I do not think you will be disappointed with the storyline or the characters.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.

03/01/2012 page 101