Leore's Reviews > The Final Empire

The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

bookshelves: sanderson, fantasy, kindle, read-in-2018, big-books, 4-5-star-reads

4.5 stars out of 5!

This is the second Brandon Sanderson novel I have read and it definitely didn’t disappoint me. This was so much fun and I can finally see what everyone is talking about since everyone and their grandma have read this book. I loved it!

The writing was easy to understand and the complex details and plot points Sanderson included throughout are all described enough so you will never be stuck on what is going on. This is high fantasy, but not one where you’ll be confused about things when reading.

I’d say my favourite part about this book is the magic system. It’s nothing I have seen before in fantasy. It’s so creative with the idea of consuming metals and using sources of power and burning them to do certain things. There are many metals, each with a different power mentioned in the book but I found it fairly easy to pick up what each one does as they were used all throughout the novel and explained, although annoyingly mostly in one chunk - read below for more on that.

CHARACTERS

VIN- I loved her character very much, even with the trope of ‘for some reason this character is special and can learn powers super quick and do things no one else can for no bloody reason but okay’ I didn’t mind it? It’s overused in fantasy novels all the time, almost as much as the ‘chosen one’ trope however I can’t imagine Vin being portrayed any other way. I’m hoping all the loose ends about her quick learning abilities are resolved in the next two books, there must be a reason!

KELSIER- What a guy. He’s like a dad to Vin (their relationship was the most emotional) and just the nicest Survivor of Hathsin you will ever meet.

THE CREW- Badass. Sazed and Marsh! Like super badass. Also Breeze, grandpa goals?

ELEND- I LOVE this man. Honestly, this is a mood:

‘’A muted thump sounded as someone dropped a stack of books onto her table. Vin jumped in startlement, turning as Elend Venture pulled over a chair, then sat down with a relaxed posture. He leaned back in the chair, angling toward a candelabrum beside her table, and opened a book to begin reading.’’

The man reads at parties and I love that.

LORD RULER- If you want to make a bad guy original: takes notes from Brandon Sanderson right now. How he came up with the plot surrounding the Lord Ruler and the twists and reveals at the very end!? I wouldn’t know where to start, but I know it was fantastic.

PLOT
This was so good! I found it original and continually fun after the fairly slow beginning. THAT ENDING THOUGH.

DOWNSIDES
The first 200 or so pages?? All-build up and nothing exciting really happens. You need the world set up and explanation for how things work for the reader to understand it for later on but I think Sanderson could just as well have added it a little bit later when it actually became relevant to the story. For example, there’s a long scene where Kelsier spends ages explaining to Vin how each and every metal works when in my opinion could’ve been spread out within the book instead of in one chunk in the first quarter of the book. Still found it interesting though and helpful except it felt like it went on a bit too long.

OVERALL
A very, very good fantasy read that I would recommend to anyone who wants to read more of or just start within the genre.

I’ve found my new goal in life: read ALL of Brandon Sanderson’s books before I die.

I think I still enjoyed Elantris more than this one shhhhh

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Empire.

April 12, 2018 – Shelved
April 12, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 5, 2018 – Started Reading
August 5, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "YES YES YES FINALLY

MY BODY IS READY FOR THIS BOOK"
August 5, 2018 – Shelved as: sanderson
August 6, 2018 –
page 28
4.17% "It’s okay so far, right now I definitely prefer his other book Elantris."
August 17, 2018 –
page 44
August 26, 2018 –
page 63
9.38% "It’s good but still not as good as Elantris. I’ll stop comparing them now and try and enjoy this the way everyone seems to have!"
August 27, 2018 –
September 17, 2018 –
page 146
September 19, 2018 –
page 170
25.3% "PART 2: REBELS BENEATH A SKY OF ASH"
September 20, 2018 –
page 204
30.36% "I still prefer Elantris.."
September 21, 2018 –
page 213
September 27, 2018 –
page 227
33.78% "I’m still waiting for a grand scene, it’s interesting but nothing really stands out to me. I do really like the magical system though!"
September 30, 2018 –
page 244
36.31% "Elend sounds like me at a party, iconic"
October 1, 2018 –
page 250
October 3, 2018 –
page 291
October 4, 2018 –
page 320
47.62% "Elend is by far my favourite character so far, a book nerd who doesn’t fit societal norms. I love him. Also, plot’s pretty interesting but still doesn’t blow me away. It’s just a good read."
October 4, 2018 –
October 11, 2018 –
page 496
October 11, 2018 –
page 514
76.49% "FINALLY SOME REAL ACTION I LOVE IT"
October 12, 2018 –
page 558
October 12, 2018 – Shelved as: big-books
October 13, 2018 – Finished Reading
October 23, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-5-star-reads

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

J.J. I knew you'd like this book. Great story and characters. Unique world building and original magic system when it comes to Brandon Sanderson books. The king of epic fantasy, imo of course. 😁

J.J. My profile pic says it all! 🤓

Alexandra Elend Wolf So happy you liked this!! :D

Leore Yes it was very good! Vin and Kelsier have such power together and I loved the ending! Can’t wait to read more :)

MoonWyvern Elend reads at parties... AND I LOVE HIM FOR THAT TOO
And Kelsier... that still makes my heart break.
And your review... 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Leore Haha thank you! We should all aspire to be Elend 100% 👏👏

J.J. Oh just wait till you read the Stormlight Archive series by B Sanderson. Huge books worth reading. A great series!

Leore I already own the first 3 books (it’ll be a 10 book series right?? which is crazy) so I’ll be reading them for sure after the Mistborn trilogy :) Very excited!

J.J. That's great! Yeah a 10 book series. It will probably take about 15 to 20 years till it's done. Lol Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is 14 books( Brandon Sanderson finished last 3 books for R Jordan) and the books are a huge read. Wheel of Time series is one of my favorite fantasy series. RIP Robert Jordan.

Leore Haven’t read any of those but I’ve heard good things about R. Jordan’s books. Might pick them up then! Thats the problem with fantasy series, they’re so good but the wait is so long ugh (It’s been 7 years since the last Kingkiller Chronicle (Patrick Rothfuss) book came out and I refuse to read the second one till it does!)

message 11: by J.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.J. Well lucky me I read both books Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss last year. And yes is going in 8 years now I think since the 2nd book was published. Pat got rich and lazy. I'm always on the PR book Door of Stone thread and lots of people are upset about the wait.

Leore I’m not sure what to think, I completely understand why people want the third book as it’s ridiculous it’s taking this long. Maybe he doesn’t plan to release it at all, who knows.

message 13: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Great review! I haven't read this yet.

Leore https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6...

Thanks, hope you enjoy it too!

Rianna *Hermione* B adding it to my list :)

message 16: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan I’m in the minority here, but I hated the next two books in this series. The plot get bogged down, convoluted, and feels like a very bad YA books.

I think I loved the first one because of what the Kelsier character added to everything. With him absent in the next two, I didn’t care for them.

And random plots felt sloppy or poorly handled, imo.

I have heard that after the time jump books 4 on are very good.

And as others have suggested above, Stormlight Archives is worth reading. To me that’s his best work.

Leore I see what you mean and I think if I didn’t like the other characters so much (Sazed, Breeze etc.) and the ending I would’ve rated it lower. I’ve also heard 4, 5, and 6 in the series are very good so I want to check them out at some point. I own the SA series, but they’re so long! I have no idea when I’ll get to them, hopefully this summer :)

message 19: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan I think Stormlight archives is his best because the prose is good. His other books aren’t bad writing, but the prose itself never really stands out. It’s his storytelling and work building that’s good. In Way of Kings there’s a handful of passages that are actually really good and up there with the better fantasy prose writers. SA 3 starts to have a few convoluted story plot tendencies of his, but it’s still pretty great.

Interested in seeing if you like 2-3 of this series though. I thought something must be wrong with me, but I reread book three and still came to the same conclusion that I didn’t care for the latter two books *shrug*

And I agree Elantris is better!

Leore Definitely need to add SA to the top of my tbr then!
I’ve actually read the next two books, giving TWoA 3.5 stars and THoA 3 stars. I didn’t hate them but they were so much slower and less impactful than book 1 was. I updated those reviews recently so it should be fairly easy to find them on my page if you want to check them out. Not as unpopular as your opinion though!

message 21: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan I’m exaggerating lol, but I’ll look at them!