Amanda Richardson's Reviews > Scandal in Spades

Scandal in Spades by Wendy LaCapra

Read 2 times. Last read April 12, 2018.

3.5 stars, Scandal in Spades is certainly an enjoyable romance novel, even if it did get a bit angsty, wordy and confusing at times. Bromton is more than upset that he is a bastard - not in name, just in truth - he is devastated to learn that his life isn't what it seems. He decides to be noble and "lose" his estate and all his money to the man he believes should be the rightful heir.
So he does, but Markham makes a different wager - marry his spinster sister and have an heir, this will right the world and any bad karma. Bromton joins Markham in traveling to Markham's estate to meet Katherine.
Katherine was once named "The Most Unmarriable Woman in England" by Beau Brummell. She has been twice engaged, her first fiancee died and the second cried off. Katherine hid from the world, raised her younger sister and ruminated in the country.
Katherine is appalled that her brother would bring a man into her world again. Maybe he will try to seduce the pitiable spinster and laugh about her with his friends. Bromton is immediately attracted to Katherine and believes he has made a good bargain. He also knows the marriage won't last, who would want to be married to a bastard?, but is willing to give it a go for the necessary heir.
There is chemistry, and some heat, between Bromton and Katherine, but lots of misunderstandings. Sometimes characters need to engage in honest and simple conversation. The prose is a bit wordy and confusing at times, I felt like I was missing a back story. I like the angst and I would recommend this book to other romance readers.

I received a complimentary copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scandal in Spades.

Finished Reading