Kelly's Reviews > The Sound and the Fury

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner

Jun 25, 2007

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, truly-dreadful, 20th-century-early-to-mid

I have only memories of a high school English class to go off of here, where I wasn't a huge fan. This book did have to compete against Love in the Time of Cholera, Portrait of the Artist and Hamlet, so. Do not trust my starring! To be revisited at some point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sound and the Fury.

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Beth I agree!! I had to read this in college. In a class full of English majors, myself included. The professor recommended we read it alongside some Sparknotes, it was that terribly difficult to get into. I was also forced to read As I Lay Dying by Faulkner in high school. It made me want to die. I hate Faulkner. Yes, brilliant in his own annoying way. But NOT enjoyable. Not even a little.

Aubrey Revisit! Revisit!

Pretty please?

Kelly I don't know if I am ready yet! I have thought about it a few times, and I did recently have a successful re-visit with Mansfield Park (another book I used to have issues with), so it makes me more inclined to try. I might try pumping myself up by reading a bunch of reviews of it and see if there are any that inspire me.

Any that you'd recommend?

Aubrey This: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... , this: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... , this: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... , and you can check mine out by clicking on the rating next to my name on this post, if you like.

Kelly That first review was wonderful, though I confess I liked it more for the shared feeling of reading-while-walking absorbedness levels in a book than for any actual content related to the book.

Your own review was also great, of course! I particularly liked this line: Nature planted a singular seed of madness in the blood, and nurture drove each along different paths. You'll be gathering bits and pieces of this tangential story, wondering what it's all for, and then a single phrase will narrow the story to a focal point of singular rage and despair.

That's the closest thing I've heard to something that would make me interested in this novel. Though I have to say the part about dragging yourself through two parts of this novel made it a bit less appealing. However, I had to do it at at least one or two points for Proust, and I was motivated to do it anyway because of the writing, so I can see doing it for Faulkner as well.

I'll get there! I'm sure I will. I'm glad you had such a great experience with it. It's always so wonderful to read about those.

Aubrey Yay! I'm glad to hear that. And thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed my review.

message 2: by Kelly (last edited Sep 26, 2013 04:42AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly I enjoy all of your reviews I've read! You write some striking sentences. I also really liked your review of Memoirs of Hadrian, which I read recently. What a wonderful idea to approach it with the poetic mode of writing. If ever there was a book that deserved it, that's the one!

Aubrey Thank you very much, Kelly. That's very kind of you to say.