Susanne's Reviews > The Daughter of Highland Hall

The Daughter of Highland Hall by Carrie Turansky

bookshelves: faith-related, historical-fiction

After reading The Governess of Highland Hall, I was definitely interested in reading the next book in the series...until I found out that it focused on one of my least-favorite characters from the first book: spoiled, manipulative Kate Ramsey.

But Kate undergoes some serious changes between the books as her cousin William Ramsey, now master of Highland Hall after the deaths of her parents, becomes engaged to Julia, Kate's former governess and a former missionary to India who happens to have some higher connections in London society after all.

As the second book begins, Kate has already softened greatly, now possessing obvious respect for her cousin and his fiancee, while resenting her Aunt Louisa, her sponsor for the London Season, who, despite her title, is a social-climber of the most obvious sort. Kate begins the book wanting to end the season with an engagement to a young man of wealth and status, and almost immediately finds a gentleman who possesses these qualities in Edward Wellington who is taken by Kate's honesty and lack of social pretention.

However, Julia's brother Jonathan comes to live with them in London as he completes his medical studies and plans to return to India as a medical missionary, just as their father, Dr. Foster, had been. Dr. Foster's health does not allow him to return to the mission field, and with Julia's engagement and upcoming marriage keeping her in England, his hopes to restart the mission lie on Jon's shoulders. But Jon begins to become interested in Daystar, a medical mission right in London's East End, helping the poor families there, and often the homeless children who live in abandoned buildings.

I'll leave off here, but from the first chapter the plot becomes fairly obvious; it's just a matter of how our young heroine will surmount all of the challenges set before her, mostly in the form of Aunt Louisa's rudeness as she steers Kate through the intricacies of London society. But the Ramseys face social ostracism after William's brother, David, gets involved with a married woman, plus William's upcoming marriage to Julia, the girls' former governess, is another black mark against the family.

A great story, filled with Christian virtues and challenges, in a way that is fairly natural. I don't tend to enjoy overtly Christian fiction because the mixture of faith and fiction tends to create stilted, hackneyed plots and prose. But this series is far better than most although a few times it does become a bit preachy and formulaic.

Overall, a great read on an afternoon when one doesn't feel well....

I think I'll order the third book in the series after all!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Daughter of Highland Hall.

April 12, 2018 – Started Reading