KFForever's Reviews > One Day in December

One Day in December by Josie Silver

kfforever

Reviewed by Sharon Thérèse at KindleFriendsForever

Although ‘One Day in December’ is a full-length standalone winterish love story I read in spring, and can assure you that it’s very readable at any time of the year! That being said, it’s not difficult for me to imagine myself snuggled up under my blanket, steaming hot cuppa nearby, Xmas lights twinkling while rereading this book. Ahh, and even better if your tribe leave you undisturbed. Why? You may ask. Well, not only did I do an all-nighter but also devoured every page from beginning to end without stopping. You see, the author’s narrative is as such that I yearned to discover if the two protagonists really had missed the boat. I couldn’t possibly have gone to sleep not knowing or done this with interruptions. So here I am, writing this review with an almighty sleep deficit I regret not one bit. I have to admit that the first couple of chapters had me wondering if there was going to be more dialogue, but as I sank deeper and deeper into the story, this desire somehow disappeared into the thin night air. And there is banter, and it’s extremely well-written. A fact which I have to reiterate because apart from the protagonists’ innermost thoughts which brought out all the feels, some of the light-hearted chit-chats helped counterbalance other heartbreaking moments Yes, get your man-sized hankies ready ladies, you’ll need them and ohh, earplugs for your partner isn't a bad idea, either!

‘You just have a way about you, Laurie. Being around you makes people feel good.’
‘Do you really mean that?’
‘Yes.’ ‘Of course I do…’

What occurred at the beginning of the story, I strongly believe in. Things happen in all our lives we can’t control, so whether it was Laurie’s fate or her destiny is for you to decide. I was gobsmacked. But not straight away. The story’s timespan is a long one so understandably while I was rooting for her happiness, never did I expect the outcome of such a fleeting moment held in limbo to have had such an impact later on. I found the pacing perfect since it gave me time to absorb every little detail, every nuance and it even got me thinking ahead...trying to silently encourage Laurie and Jack to persevere. When others have our love and respect, you don’t go out of your way to hurt them; the reverse, you protect them. This was brought home in the author’s storytelling. She wanted them to pursue righteousness, for them to have clear consciences, for them to be able to live with themselves. The trouble is what is right for one, might be wrong for another, meaning actions can often be interpreted incorrectly. Deflecting truths to save hurt obscures, changing the pattern of what could have been, too.

‘Perhaps one day I might even deserve to be happy.’

The story’s originality impressed me no end. Two friends tied together with heartstrings, who will do anything for each other, who know how the other thinks, stay sisters-in-arms until… It was on the cards; nonetheless, before getting to this part Ms. Silver had already put me through an emotional wringer, turning me into a nervous wreck. I felt as if this particular scenario where the fickle finger of fate was played out, slowed down to a snail’s pace but at the same time, was over in a flash leaving me devastated. I might add that this brilliant piece of writing was the result of a build up like none other. Consequently, I balled my eyes out while trying hard not to wake my better half. Of course, this couldn’t have happened without damn good character development and a strong plot.

‘Life can be really shit sometimes,’ ‘It’ll come good again. It always does.’
‘You think so? It sounds so stupid but I just feel like I’m failing at everything…’

I loved all the characters’ backgrounds. It was like being given a unique look at how they all lived; their quirks, their traits, likes and dislikes and the humour...mustn’t forget that Brit wit, now can we? The men in the lives of Laurie and Sarah, so very different, both gorgeous and sensitive in their own ways. I loved how the author focused on family values, everyday issues and struggles and didn’t skim over any details. Nothing was left unturned, everything told was relevant consequently making ‘One Day in December’ one of the best love stories of the year.

‘Despite the fairy-tale snowstorm out there, this isn’t Narnia. This is London, real life, where hearts get kicked and bruised and broken, but somehow they still keep beating.’

Hmm...so we have a girl, a guy and another girl. We have the best of friends. Kinda looks like we could have a triangle on the go, doesn’t it? But is it really? Folks, there’s only one way to find out and that’s reading the book! I’m eternally grateful that I was given the opportunity to get to know Laurie, Jack, Sarah and Oscar. And you might ask yourselves if there’s a third wheel in this little group of four; again, read it...please! All are unforgettable characters who I liked in equal parts, all of them were a joy to get to know and I don’t doubt you’ll like them as much as me.

‘You’re beautiful and kind, and you make me laugh, and when you look at me like that with your summer hedgerow eyes . . . only a fucking saint wouldn’t kiss you.’

Interestingly, I realized there was no epilogue when I reached the end of the book that happens to be without a prologue. Obviously, I’d jumped into it head first taking little notice of this detail. But the ending...oh boy, it was so intense, I actually wondered right up to the last minute how it would pan out seeing as the author had left virtually no breathing space for either the reader or more important, her characters. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed this story. I really can’t. Unfortunately, it’s not possible for me to award an infinite number of stars to a book that certainly deserves them. Therefore, I’ll give it five shiny ones. Bravo Ms Silver!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day in December.

Finished Reading