Tara's Reviews > Kidnapped

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

While Stevenson’s Kidnapped was not quite as strong a work as either Treasure Island or his incredibly gripping The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, it was such an exciting, action-packed, genuinely fun adventure story that I couldn’t help but love it. Set in 1751, it features such thrilling elements as a sinister, foul-tempered uncle, a ship full of villainous sailors, a shipwreck on a gloomy, deserted island, political intrigue, Murder!, the perilous proximity of the Red Coats on the Scottish Highlands, and much, much more. Plus, I found the young protagonist, David, extremely likable and relatable; he was good-hearted, loyal, intelligent and brave, but not unbelievably (or irritatingly) so. All in all, he was a wonderful companion I found myself enthusiastically rooting for, which always makes a story that much more engrossing. Highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kidnapped.

April 11, 2018 – Shelved
April 11, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 10, 2018 – Started Reading
May 11, 2018 –
page 76
31.67% "He had dropped his cutlass as he jumped, and when he felt the pistol, whipped straight round and laid hold of me, roaring out an oath; and at that either my courage came again, or I grew so much afraid as came to the same thing; for I gave a shriek and shot him in the midst of the body."
May 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka Very enjoyable review, Tara. I like when we found a protagonist to be a good match to reader. I know this story but now can't remember if it was a book or a movie.

message 2: by Fede (new)

Fede Fine review, and quite fitting: I'm on a waste land the locals call 'beach', a lunar strip of sand and debris and wrecked boats. The ideal atmosphere to enjoy such a tale! :)

Tara Agnieszka wrote: "Very enjoyable review, Tara. I like when we found a protagonist to be a good match to reader. I know this story but now can't remember if it was a book or a movie."

Thank you! If you aren’t sure whether you’ve read the book or not, I definitely suggest giving it a try. It’s a fairly fast read, great for when you’re in the mood for a lighter kind of classic that’s still intelligently written.

Tara Fede wrote: "Fine review, and quite fitting: I'm on a waste land the locals call 'beach', a lunar strip of sand and debris and wrecked boats. The ideal atmosphere to enjoy such a tale! :)"

Thanks, Fede. Yes, that would be an ideal location to read the story! Hopefully you resisted the temptation to snack on any uncooked shellfish in the area. The protagonist had to learn to avoid them the hard way :D

Henry Avila Glad you liked the book, Tara, as I did. Such a fun read and your wonderful review shows how entertaining it was...

Tara Henry wrote: "Glad you liked the book, Tara, as I did. Such a fun read and your wonderful review shows how entertaining it was..."

Thanks, Henry. I’m very grateful to you for reminding me of its existence :)

message 7: by Jose (new) - added it

Jose Moa Nice review Tara

Tara Jose wrote: "Nice review Tara"

Thank you, Jose.

message 9: by Florencia (new)

Florencia Always nice to embark on a fun adventure, so thanks for your recommendation. :) I'm adding this one.

message 10: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Florencia wrote: "Always nice to embark on a fun adventure, so thanks for your recommendation. :) I'm adding this one."

No prob. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! :)