✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)'s Reviews > The Fall of Gondolin

The Fall of Gondolin by J.R.R. Tolkien

August 1, 2018: 21.76€ for an ebook? TWENTY ONE POINT SEVENTY SIX EUROS FOR AN EBOOK? ARE YOU BLOODY SHRIMPING KIDDING ME???!!!! And here I was, thinking Lies of the Beholder being available for pre-order at 10€ was a total rip-off. Goes to show you can be both cunningly nefarious and ridiculously naive.

New bloody shrimping Tolkien novel + reluctant hero + dark lord + epic battles =

P.S. The final Kate Daniels instalment will be released on August 28. So will Sandman Slim #10. And now this one on August 30? The Incas had it all wrong, it's not 2012 we should have worried about, it's August 2018. Say hi to Armageddon, everyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fall of Gondolin.

April 11, 2018 – Shelved
April 11, 2018 – Shelved as: wishlist
April 11, 2018 – Shelved as: fantasy
April 11, 2018 – Shelved as: unreleased-give-it-give-it-give-it
July 29, 2018 – Shelved as: too-bloody-shrimping-expensive
July 29, 2018 – Shelved as: top-of-wishlist

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Eilonwy (new)

Eilonwy Not to mention that Black Company book coming out in September! I can see that my entire summer is going to be taken up by rereading Glen Cook and the Kate Daniels series (last book, sob).

message 2: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana I need this.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Eilonwy wrote: "Not to mention that Black Company book coming out in September! I can see that my entire summer is going to be taken up by rereading Glen Cook and the Kate Daniels series (last book, sob)."

Don't worry, there will be no life left on the planet by the time Port of Shadows gets released. I'd start clearing my to-read shelf posthaste, if I were you. Especially if there are books there you were particularly keen on reading.

Jennymort ♔ The Dark Lordette ♔ House of Slytheread what the hell?

this is why i read ya/na. books are cheaper. lol. i don't understand why adult books cost more? like sometimes they have even less content then books like this and still cost just as much?

it drives me insane because i have to buy them on amazon used or wait for a sale.

message 6: by Anuradha (new) - added it

Anuradha But I want this book more than I want to breathe. :(

message 7: by Karishma (new)

Karishma It's 7 Euros here. I just pre ordered the hard cover.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Jennymort ♔ The Dark Lordette ♔ House of Slytheread wrote: "what the hell?

Thankfully, Fantasy and SF books aren't usually that expensive. I guess this is just the publisher and the Tolkien Estate trying to squeeze as much money out of this one as they can:/

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Anuradha wrote: "But I want this book more than I want to breathe. :("

I know!! I do, too! Keeping my pincers crossed that the price will go down after the book is released!

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Karishma wrote: "It's 7 Euros here. I just pre ordered the hard cover."

Really?! Lucky you! I just don't understand publishers and their pricing policies...

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria Dimitrova This is so freaking expensive! And I was planning to buy this as a gift for a friend :/ There's no way I can do that.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Maria wrote: "This is so freaking expensive! And I was planning to buy this as a gift for a friend :/ There's no way I can do that."

It's 21€ in France and 27€ in Spain! Completely ridiculous! Have you checked prices in Bulgaria? There's no logic to book pricing, so it might be cheaper for you.

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria Dimitrova ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "Maria wrote: "This is so freaking expensive! And I was planning to buy this as a gift for a friend :/ There's no way I can do that."

It's 21€ in France and 27€ in Spain! Completely ridiculous! Hav..."

They're not going to publish it anytime soon so I'll have to order from abroad. That being said since we don't use € as our currency this is even more expensive for me.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Maria wrote: "✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) wrote: "Maria wrote: "This is so freaking expensive! And I was planning to buy this as a gift for a friend :/ There's no way I can do..."

I've been looking but the only non-English version I've found is a German one, so you're not alone. No sign of a French or Spanish one so far. I just checked and the book is about $25 on Amazon US, too. Looks like a lot a us won't be reading this one anytime soon.

message 15: by Bob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bob Clark Library

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Bob wrote: "Library"

That might be an option for you, but not everyone has access to a library.

message 17: by Nav (new) - added it

Nav That's why you just pirate it, if you want the ebook. Force the publishers to not be so greedy.

message 18: by Cherry (new)

Cherry I saw it this morning on amazon and it was $14.99 for ebook, and that's discounted because the orig price is $30 description

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Nav wrote: "That's why you just pirate it, if you want the ebook. Force the publishers to not be so greedy."

I'm against piracy so I'll just wait for the price of the book to go down to buy it.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Cherry wrote: "I saw it this morning on amazon and it was $14.99 for ebook, and that's discounted because the orig price is $30 "

$15 is really expensive for an ebook, but it's still around $26 over here, so I'd probably buy the book if I could get the same discount.

message 21: by Nav (new) - added it

Nav I'm against piracy too, except when it's warranted. Piracy is what makes industry change their practices, otherwise there is no resistance to their unfair pricing strategies. It worked in the music industry and film industry. But fair enough :) I've only just got a kindle, last week - I'd only pirate if it was a ridiculous situation like this. But I usually buy books anyway, as I like having the physical copy.

message 22: by Cherry (new)

Cherry I’ll wait for the price to drop too, just sad it’s that expensive...

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Nav wrote: "I'm against piracy too, except when it's warranted. Piracy is what makes industry change their practices, otherwise there is no resistance to their unfair pricing strategies. It worked in the music..."

I understand where you're coming from, but I just can't bring myself to download pirated books, no matter the reason. I'm a revoltingly law-abiding nefarious person like that, haha.

Enjoy your new Kindle!:)

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Cherry wrote: "I’ll wait for the price to drop too, just sad it’s that expensive..."

Here's hoping we won't have to wait years for the price to go down!

message 25: by Efreak (new)

Efreak Check if your local library has overdrive. If you're in the US, most libraries only require proof of residence in the state for a free library card (and access to their ebook system). Next time you go on a trip, make a couple stops in your state to collect overdrive subscriptions.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Efreak wrote: "Check if your local library has overdrive. If you're in the US, most libraries only require proof of residence in the state for a free library card (and access to their ebook system). Next time you..."

I'm in Spain and the only local library in my area offers a very limited choice of books, none of them in English...

message 27: by Efreak (new)

Efreak That's unfortunate. Check out sections 2.1-2.3 of https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBoo... for free/paid overdrive libraries. There's also a section on libraries in spain with overdrive (assuming you're close enough to get to any of them). Apparently some libraries in the US also allow online/phone/fax applications for nonresident cards, you may be able to apply for one (though they cost).

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) Efreak wrote: "That's unfortunate. Check out sections 2.1-2.3 of https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBoo... for free/paid overdrive libraries. There's also a..."

Thanks so much for all that info, Efreak! Unfortunately, the few Spanish libraries that have overdrive are nowhere near me. I tried getting a US library car last year, but although some libraries do accept applications from nonresident, they do not accept them from non-residents who live outside the US:( Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for the book price to drop:)