Kelly's Reviews > Hiroshima No Pika

Hiroshima No Pika by Toshi Maruki

Nov 15, 2011

bookshelves: international

Hiroshima No Pika is a tragic story told by the perspective of a young girl who tells the story of the day the atomic bomb dropped onto the city of Hiroshima.

These pictures bring me into the book to feel as if I could be in that town during that time. They are shocking to a young audience due to the fact that some of the characters become naked, however, I think that once discussing this book the children can understand that it is because literally their clothes were burned off of them in this tremendously act.

Thinking about this book and the audience I would target reading this book is 5th grade and higher. Who says that older kids can't read picture books? I think this is right on target with content that is discussed and so relevant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hiroshima No Pika.

Aska I agree with you 100%! I think it's important that older students ARE reading picture books. There are great picture books that deal with themes that are relevant to teenagers and upper grades.
And also, because of their maturity, they can discuss those issues you mentioned about nudity in the illustration and why the author decided to include those illustration. What was the author trying to convey with those illustration?
Another interesting activity could be reading the book out loud without showing the pictures (or giving them a typed text) and discuss the book using only the text and then inviting them to a read aloud using the illustration and ask their reaction. By scaffolding their understanding about the text before showing the illustration might bring out different reactions to the text.
This is a very powerful book and I think it would be a great addition to the curriculum to enhance understanding of the devastation of the atomic bomb. Also a way to discuss the author's use of illustration as well.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen I agree that by frontloading and discussing this book with your students they will understand the graphic illustrations.
I think the age range that you selected is accurate because it is not just a picture book, but it is a meaningful book that addresses a part of our history. The older students would be more able to question and debate the topic.