Jeff's Reviews > The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom

The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz

M 50x66
Nov 15, 2011

Read from November 12 to 13, 2011

I liked it. It certainly isn't perfect for everyone, but it covers a complex issue in a simple and easy to read form. There aren't many books I read from cover to cover in two sittings like I did this one. On the negative side, I think some people are turned off by mysticism, and by the hierarchy of authority. The author uses both to frame his ideas in a cultural context...the "Toltec" part. I liked the cultural part myself. I've been to Teotihuacan and climbed the pyramids there. I especially like the cultural part because it puts the need for personal freedom in what I consider to be the right framework, a need that arouse from the shift from hunter-gather to cities with rigid culture coded in written form. I liked the simplicity of how the author framed his core ideas. His use of the word "domesticated", as applied to humans, worked really well for me. I also liked how he explained the internal Judge and Victim, and the need to empower ones self to change patterns set in childhood, without blame. I feel he really covered all the bases that needed to be covered quite well, while still keeping it simple.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four Agreements.

08/16/2016 marked as: read