Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)'s Reviews > You

You by Caroline Kepnes

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, library, beat-the-backlist-2018

“I don't say anything. I know the power of silence. I remember my dad saying nothing and I remember his silences more vividly than I remember the things he said.”

A friend recommended this to me before I knew it was going to be a movie, but seeing the trailer just made me want to read it even more! I like Penn Badgley and could easily picture him and his voice as I listened to the audiobook. Side note: the narrator is also Prince Hans from Frozen! I'll never be able to watch that movie the same way again.

I was really addicted to this book when I first started it! It was crazy (literally) being inside Joe's head and seeing how he viewed the world. He has a skewed sense of right and wrong, and what should be done to "punish" those that fall into the latter category. I'll admit... it was oddly fascinating to watch how his mind worked.

Beck and her friends annoyed the heck out of me. I never connected with any of the characters and wondered how anyone could be so selfish and vain. They were spoiled, insecure, obnoxious people that behaved one way in public and another in private. I could actually understand Joe's frustrations with society and how fake people appeared to be.

However, about halfway through the book I started to get bored with the story. It felt like the same things were being repeated in a different way with different people. I'm also not a big fan of the way it ended. I was briefly surprised, but that was quickly eclipsed by everything else going on.

If you're looking for a good mindfuck, this is the book for you. My brain feels tainted just from being inside Joe's head for so long. I think listening to the audiobook made it feel more real, and it was a great audiobook. I just wish the middle had been condensed a lot more!

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on May 24, 2018.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You.

Quotes Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?) Liked

Caroline Kepnes
“The only thing crueler than a cage so
small that a bird can’t fly is a cage so
large that a bird thinks it can fly.”

Caroline Kepnes
“The problem with books is that they end.”

Caroline Kepnes
“If people could handle their self-loathing, customer service would be smoother.”

Caroline Kepnes
“The problem with books is that they end. They seduce you. They spread their legs to you and pull you inside. And you go deep and leave your possessions and your ties to the world at the door and you like it inside and you don't want for your possessions or your ties and then, the book evaporates.”

Caroline Kepnes
“Work in a bookstore and learn that most people in this world feel guilty about being who they are.”

April 10, 2018 – Started Reading
April 10, 2018 – Shelved
April 10, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobook
April 10, 2018 – Shelved as: library
April 12, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "I am loving the audiobook for this! I had no idea it was the same guy that voiced Prince Hans in Frozen. This fact (thanks, Jen) has forever changed me.

After watching the trailer for this, I've been picturing a Penn Badgley/Hans smashup. My brain is weird."
April 13, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "Audiobook Update: Chapter 25"
April 15, 2018 – Finished Reading