Amy's Reviews > The Edge of Over There

The Edge of Over There by Shawn Smucker

A couple of things first...
1) I hate reading books on my Kindle app on my phone (but due to this being an advanced ebook copy from the publisher, my only choice for reading it right now was on my Kindle app).
2) I rarely read fiction because it either bores me to death or takes over my life until I finish the book.

With that said, I read the first book last summer (The Day the Angels Fell) and now the 2nd (The Edge of Over There). I read this mostly in a day’s time (despite the dislike of reading on my Kindle). It fell under the “couldn’t put it down and it took over my life” category pretty easily thanks to the author’s method of switching back and forth between characters’ points of view and stopping at a cliffhanger each time he switched. I kept reading and reading because I wanted to see what was going to happen to each person and then boom, I was done. And sad that I was done....aka I can’t wait to see what happens to the characters next!

My recommendations:
- read the first book first...this one ‘could’ stand alone but is more enjoyable if you read them in order (think Star Wars, Hunger Games kinds of series)
- this is YA, but I would recommend it for anyone 10-11 and up. It’s clean (no swearing or sex) and fairly an easy read. An advanced reader under 10 might be fine but may end up having many questions about death, which is not necessarily a bad thing...I’m just letting you know. I also enjoyed the Hunger Games trilogy and read all of those books in a day’s time as well.
- there are faint biblical undertones in this storyline, but not in a brazen “you must believe this” kind of way. Think CS Lewis and his Narnia.

Overall a mesmerizing, well-written, and thought-provoking book. I seriously can’t wait for the next installment to be released!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Edge of Over There.

April 10, 2018 – Shelved