Sarah's Reviews > The Midnights

The Midnights by Sarah Nicole Smetana

liked it
bookshelves: suicide-and-death

I received this through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Susannah has always had a special bond with her father. They connect through music. He is a washed up rock star, who continues to record and work with music in their home recording studio in the garage. Susannah writes songs and tweaks music to make something beautiful that will impress her father. He has had mental challenges, and addiction issues for years, which threatens family bonds and the relationship between Susannah's parents. One morning, Susannah's father is in a deadly car crash and she is left with the grief. Her mother quickly moves them to her mother's house, so that she and Susannah can take care of the ailing woman. Susannah attempts to use this move to heal and remake herself. She soon connects with a local band and gains a new group of friends. Drama follows and Susannah will have to confront everything that has happened within the last year.

I found that the characters were extremely shallow, though I believe they were intentionally developed to be that way. However, it made it difficult to connect to both characters and story. I felt that this wasn't any overly emotionally narrative of an emotional occurrence, though it didn't seem to bother me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Midnights.

April 10, 2018 – Started Reading