LilyElement's Reviews > Secondhand Spirits

Secondhand Spirits by Juliet Blackwell

bookshelves: 2018, audiobook, mystery, witch-magic, audiobook-2018

Secondhand Spirits is book 1 in A Witchcraft Mystery series. I loved book 9 enough that I knew I had to backtrack and start this series from the beginning. I'm glad I did because this was such a fun listen in audio, I'll grab the rest of the series as audio from my library pretty soon too.

Lily Ivory is a witch that recently moved to the Bay Area and opened Aunt Cora's Closet, a vintage clothing store. She's making new friends and meeting other witches in the area though she's keeping her distance from joining a coven. Her and a friend go out to a woman's house to buy some vintage clothing for her store when the unthinkable happens, a little girl is kidnapped from the street. The locals are saying it's La Llorona, a demon that takes children. If that's not enough to deal with, the lady she bought the clothes from winds up dead and left posed in what appears to be a ritual. Determined to get the little girl back, Lily tries to unravel who killed the woman and see if it's linked to the little girl disappearing.

Secondhand Spirits was such a fun read and the whodunit had me guessing. I'm glad I went back to book 1 since I got to see Lily meeting her familiar Oscar, the shape shifting gargoyle that turns into a pig as disguise. Lily is trying to find her place in the world and learn more about her powers. I can't wait to see what the next installment brings. If you're a fan of paranormal + mystery you should try this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secondhand Spirits.

April 10, 2018 – Started Reading