Zoe Mann's Reviews > Salvage the Bones

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward

liked it

"Salvage the Bones" by Jesmyn Ward is a slow malting novel that takes time to mature, but come the end, all the characterisation and scene building fuses together in 1 perfect explosion.

I don't tend to read literary fiction but something about this book screamed to be read. The detail and portrayal of each and every character was exquisite. I felt like I knew them all inside and out. The setting was also wonderfully described. I could feel the sizzling heat on my skin and the warm humid air before a storms hits. It was simply a beautifully, heartbreaking read.

"Salvage the Bones" is about a family preparing for a storm to hit but really it is not about the storm at all. It is about each and every one of their sacrifices and struggles, qualities and flaws but above all their love and loyalty to one another. I didn't realise how much the characters had touched my heart until I was sobbing like a baby at the end. (This could be down to having a heart procedure and being full of sedation and adrenaline but I know I would of cried like a baby no matter the day or circumstances.)

So why 3 stars? As others have stated there are quite a few disturbing scenes of dog abuse, dog fighting and dog neglect. It did add substance to the story but being the biggest dog lover it was extremely difficult to stomach. Also as much as the story was about the characters rather than a plot itself, it could of had just a little more drama and excitement. It was extremely slow to build up and finally feel the way I felt for the characters.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salvage the Bones.

April 1, 2018 – Started Reading
April 9, 2018 – Shelved
April 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Good review, Zoe!

message 2: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe Mann Thank you Diane 💕

message 3: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Great review, Zoe! :) Dog lover here too so I think I'll stay away from this one. Thanks for the heads up!

message 4: by Zoe (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zoe Mann Thank you Michelle. I'm glad I stuck it out but there were a few times the dog abuse was too much that I nearly gave up reading it x