Hannah's Reviews > Hard To Stay

Hard To Stay by S.    Jones

did not like it

I think this is one of the many books I got free on my kindle. That and the rating is why I read it. But it fell flat for me. The insta-love was bad and I had to skim some of it otherwise I wasn't going to finish. I definitely checked out the percentage a lot on this book.

A big problem throughout the book was telling the reader what is happening or has happened in the past instead of showing the reader. This play a big role in why I did not enjoy the characters or plot. We are told so much that has happened but I just never believe it. This was a major problem, especially for the love story. There was too much talking and going over the same things. And the jealousy was so annoying. It was all just too much that I honestly didn't care or necessarily want them together.

The characters in the book were not really developed enough for me to care about any of them. The love story was lacking and too fast. There were moments where I though some of the other police friends showed some promise for being good secondary characters but it just never got there. Other characters were pointless like Emily. We never had to see her at any point. That just took space away from the main story. Even Lexi's family just was a waste of space in the story. We are told about them but are not shown anything until the end. And by that point I don't believe what I was told because what I was shown implied something different to me.

I hate to say this but a the telling problem also took away from me with Lexi dealing with her ex. Colton is vile person who did terrible things and there is no excuse and he is a one dimensional villain who has no redeeming or human qualities in my opinion. We are told that she wants to make a new life but she so easily lets Colton talk with her when we are first shown her hiding from him. It's hard to stick with it when I am told one thing and shown another.

I'm starting to feel like I am ranting too much about this so the last thing that I will mention is that Brad didn't seem like a good police officer and his story line was weird and mainly pointless. There were things with his job and why he was working where he was working that just never followed though. And then a twist job wise that came out of no where and served no real purpose based on everything that was told and shown earlier. It could have been ok if it was more involved throughout the story.

Overall this was not the book for me. I can see how someone would like it if they wanted an easier fast read and don't care about it being some big great love story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard To Stay.

April 9, 2018 – Shelved