Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Above

Above by Leah Bobet

Nov 14, 2011

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult, did-not-finish, didn-t-care-for-it, disappointment, 2012-release, 2012-reads, scholastic
Read from April 02 to 11, 2012

*sigh*

I was really hoping to love this book since it is the first print ARC I received directly from a publisher. Unfortunately, it's just not for me. At page 10 I knew we weren't going to get along and I was right. Damn, sometimes I hate being right. The writing style is way to choppy and hard to keep up with. I felt like I was concentrating entirely too hard while reading. That is a problem. So, I put the book down thinking Above and I just needed our individual space. Whenever I walked past my book shelf I'd feel guilty because Above was steadily calling me saying, "Read me. Read me." I had zero urge to pick it back up. :(

So, I know I say it takes a lot for me to not finish a book and I do believe this is the first one of 2012 for me. Considering I only made it to page 25 before I threw in the towel, I won't even give it a star rating.

Hopefully, someone else will love it, but for now Above and I must go our separate ways.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Above.

04/03/2012 page 15
4.0% "I am not feeling this writing style at all. :(" 6 comments
05/18/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Sam wrote: "I know a lot of blogger friends who had mixed feeling about this one. It keeps getting pushed further down my TBR pile. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of it. :)"

Sadly, I think it will be a DNF for me. The writing style is a huge turn off.

message 2: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Sam wrote: "Ugh, that's disappointing. :( I don't know if I should bother."

All you need to do is read the first 10 pages to see if you'll jive with the writing style.

It is disappointing. I was really hoping to love it or even just like it enough to give a favorable review. It's the first print ARC I've received directly from a pub and I was really excited to read it. :(

message 3: by K. (new) - rated it 4 stars

K. Oh no! I just bought this and plan to read it soon.

message 4: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair K. wrote: "Oh no! I just bought this and plan to read it soon."

Hopefully you'll like it, K!

message 5: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair I gave up. It wasn't working out.

message 6: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika I didn't make it either. Comas are all over the book, too many repetitive words, and the pov confused me a lot.

message 7: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Erika wrote: "I didn't make it either. Comas are all over the book, too many repetitive words, and the pov confused me a lot."

Yes, yes, and yes. So disappointing. A lot of others seem to be having similar troubles with it.

message 8: by Zuleeza (new)

Zuleeza lots of comas and repetitive words? Is it like Shatter Me?

message 9: by shady (new)

shady Is the writing style really that bad? o_O Gimme an example.

message 10: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair @Zuleeza, I haven't read Shatter Me yet, so I'm not sure.

@Fauzan, I shall fetch you an example tomorrow when I awaken. Lol.

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne Wow, that bad? I might have to take it off my TBR list. The writing style makes a real difference when I read and it usually is a deal breaker for me.

Giselle Omg wasn't this was strangest book EVER!? I DNFed it too.

message 13: by Steph (last edited Apr 12, 2012 08:27AM) (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair
But tonight it's not the half I need, because there's Atticus, spindly crab arms folded 'cross his chest, waiting outside my door. His eyes glow dim-shot amber--not bright, so he's not mad then, just annoyed and looking to be mad. The glow's enough to light up the tapestry on my door: the story of Safe as far as I know it, in bits of paint and pictures, carved so everyone knows the Teller lives here. Atticus blinking makes it flicker like firelight.

This book put me in a comma coma. Also, there are so many capitalized words.

You take your own names here, down in Safe. Ari couldn't pick one the first week or two, and after that she didn't want to and wouldn't tell us hers. So it was me who named her Ariel, after the girl caught in the tree in Atticus's best-loved bedtime Tale. And she answered to it, and she stayed. And after three weeks her nightmares went quieter and she got to talking, and would smile here and there at things I said, and morningtimes I'd wake up sometimes with her head tucked on my shoulder and all the worry lines 'bout her mouth unraveled. But I could barely ever, almost never get her to talk about Above.

All the text is like that. Eh, kill me now. O_o

message 14: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Giselle wrote: "Omg wasn't this was strangest book EVER!? I DNFed it too."

Yes! In the few pages that I read, I had no idea what was going on!

message 15: by Juhina (new)

Juhina what the hell.. this book makes NO SENSE

message 16: by Giselle (last edited Apr 12, 2012 07:37AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Giselle It took me HALF to realize one of them was not, in fact, a dude. Oops.

message 17: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Yes, mine was glaring at me from the shelf too. Like Atticus's eyes!

message 18: by Em (new) - added it

Em I DNF and put it on my abandoned shelf...which means I won't be coming back to it. I think I made it to the second chapter [maybe] before I decided I was too confused and irritated to continue.

message 19: by Amber J. (new) - added it

Amber J. I am a comma criminal myself lol, so this may be my kind of book

message 20: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Sinclair Giselle wrote: "It took me HALF to realize one of them was not, in fact, a dude. Oops."

Wait! Who's not a dude? It took me a minute to realize the main character was a guy. His name is Mattew, right? Or is it Teller?! Lol.

@Juhina, it was very confusing. My brain cried.

@Kelly, Bahahahaha! Sadly, it's true. *hangs head in shame*

@Em, oh no! You too, Em? The cover looked so pretty too...

@Amber, I hope you enjoy it!

Wren [t(he)y] Is this LGBT?