Lucy's Reviews > The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row

The Sun Does Shine by Anthony Ray Hinton

Justice is a funny thing, and in Alabama, justice isn't blind. She knows the colour of your skin, your education level and how much money you have in the bank.

In 1985, Anthony Ray Hinton was convicted of a crime he did not commit which resulted in him being sentenced to death. This book tells the harsh reality of the resulting 30 years on death row for Ray until his convicted was finally overturned, and the court admitted what he knew all along: he was an innocent man.

Ray goes through a very long and arduous struggle to get the truth known, and even when the truth is widely known he still has to fight to get freedom. He is a strong man, there is absolutely no denying that. He manages to remain hopeful and optimistic throughout most of these years, and he uses his positive outlook to help the others around him. He builds a friendship family with the other inmates. He talks to the warden and manages to convince him to allow them a book club, allowing these men to temporarily escape from their cells within their minds. The inmates don't see other much but they develop a strong bond through the club and conversations through their cell bars, talking about all things from their lives, law tactics, racism and most of all discussing these books which become incredibly important.

This is easily the most important book i've ever read. Ray's story is devastating; it's horrifying and haunting, all the more so because this is not an isolated case. For every ten people on death row, one of them is innocent. This book helps to bring to light the injustices and prejudices which rule the American justice system. It shows just how easily someone's whole life can be destroyed because of a deficient system and racial prejudice. It's horrifying to read, I sobbed my way through most of it, but it's an important read that brings to light an issue that most of us luckily never will have to suffer through, and therefore too often don't even think about. It's a book that I will never, ever forget.

The death penalty is broken, and you are either part of the Death Squad or you are banging on the bars.
Choose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Does Shine.

April 9, 2018 – Started Reading