MeinLesezeichenBlog's Reviews > Summer Hours at the Robbers Library

Summer Hours at the Robbers Library by Sue Halpern

This novel is all about the small gestures: it is a silent, unobtrusive and somehow peaceful story, despite its troubled protagonists. On the outside, there is not much going on. However, on the inside of each character there is a hell of a lot happening. Therefore it took me a while to fully understand where the novel is heading. It is all about internal transformation. I really enjoyed this aspect of the novel. It becomes obvious that the strong point of the story are its characters. Everyone has a story to tell, something to hide, a mysterious trait. It is all about the characters, their relations to each other, about altruism and respect.
The library fits perfectly as a scenery: there you are supposed to keep quiet but it is unavoidable that you try to catch a glimpse of the books the other people are lending. But it is also a very personal environment where it is impossible to not nose around and be curious.
I liked Kits taxonomy of the library's visitors. And also the reason behind Sunny's dictionary theft. To some, Kits personality might seem uncongenial and cool, however I found her complicated personality, her aloof nature and her unwillingness to let anybody in her life, rather likeable. Her feelings were fully comprehensible to me, especially the description of her home as a shelter for her soul.
I was a bit disappointed on how Sunny's story ended. In my eyes, her fate did not get the deserved attention and was kind of forced aside. A lot was left untold. The happy note at the end matched the development and nature of the story. A different outcome would have been implausible. Even though it is not a real happy end, you know exactly that it is just a brief moment in time and that everything is going to be, although not perfect, but fine. A refreshing and positive prospect on life.

I really enjoyed reading this novel and meeting all its characters with their rough edges. 'Summer Hours at the Robbers library' was a relaxing read about the hardships of life and about the tangled and wondrous paths life can take.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Hours at the Robbers Library.

April 9, 2018 – Started Reading