C.G. Drews's Reviews > You Asked for Perfect

You Asked for Perfect by Laura  Silverman

bookshelves: contemporary, ya-male-narrators, young-adult, read-2019

Look, forget thrillers: come read this book if you want to be stressed out of your entire brain. Seriously, I had to put it down at one point because I was about to start anxiety crying in sync with Ariel. It's such an intense story about the weight school puts on students, the point of making them ill. It reminded me of The Otherlife, although that focused more on mental illness. And I always say a sign of a good book is when you suffer with the narrators so 🤗I'm so glad I read this.

(I'm also glad I never went to an American school lmao.)

// it also is quite a short and sweet story
The focuses are so intensely on friendship, family, and taking a step back to breathe and put things in perspective before you destroy yourself. It is really short (250pgs) so there were a lot of times I expected it to go deeper and darker...and it didn't. Problems seemed to be fixed or smoothed out quite easily (especially with the relationships?) so it overall lacked a meaty grit that I hoped for. But there is absolutely a need and place for stories that leave you with soft warm feelings. so here for that!

// I also loved the diversity rep!
I mean, I always adore books with diversity, but this seemed all very loving and respectful. The main ship is m/m (Ariel is bi) and he's also Jewish. There are TONS of Jewish scenes which I loved!! So much culture and it's important to see that in YA. Also Amir and his family are Muslim, Ariel's best friend is fat and queer, there are POC characters!

// exhaustion? ya that's me
mate, I feel like I just got flung through highschool again and w o w that is a solid no thanks. I can't even fathom all the work these kids had to do and I am FURIOUS at the teachers. It's all about a system. It's not even about learning or knowledge; just how can you "win" against a system to get the best test scores and the best college. And arghsshg like even the guidance counsellor was constantly pushing Ariel. They ALL were. To the detriment of these kids' healths. This is a real issue and it makes me so angry tbh. (Hate hate hate the orchestra conductor too.) Ariel needed a nap and I just freaked out every time he was driving himself to the point of breaking. GIVE THE KID A NAP.

// overall it is a fantastic story, lots of heart and warm feels despite also being here to stress you tf out
as a good book should be 😌why relax with a book when you can clutch the pages and whisper-shout "WOULD SOMEONE TAKE CARE OF ARIEL PLS" as he burns himself out trying to achieve something he's not even sure he wants. Feels. Overachiever/Slytherin relate. 😫💛

(ps there are a lot of Harry Potter references in here and I am ZERO percent in agreement with Amir that Ariel is a Gryffindor?!?! Like no, sit down. He is a soft Slytherin.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Asked for Perfect.

April 9, 2018 – Shelved
April 9, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 17, 2019 – Started Reading
July 17, 2019 –
page 100
37.45% "Ariel is so stressed about his calc quiz, now I AM STRESSED. We're both going to end up crying. Pls, just...just go. We're not ok."
July 18, 2019 – Shelved as: contemporary