Charlene's Reviews > Social Media Central

Social Media Central by Kevin Klehr

bookshelves: advance-reading-copy, netgalley

I have a fondness for books that are clearly fiction but are plausible visions of our future. This is one such book. The setting is a world in which meeting a real person is rare. Almost everyone connects via Social Media Central for their social interaction. Tyler is an exception. He leaves his home each day to go to work and is one of the few people who doesn't own a personal computer. Various events lead to him being thrown in to SMC where he fast attracts a following. As he tries to come to terms with this new and intoxicating experience, he discovers all isn't as it seems. This was a gripping read for me. It was a little slow to start but once it pulled me in I was hooked. It's an intruiging and plausible plot with characters that are bold, fearless, and seemingly unaware of how just how little power they have. What they do have is influence and the reader can only hope that will be enough. The only thing that threw me off was the sexual aspect. It's touched upon briefly but I found the inclusion to be almost awkward. When fictional books touch on sexuality, especially gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual etc the experiences are usually described in depth. Not necessarily the act itself but the emotional and psychological aspects as characters explore the dynamics. I found it hard to believe the main character would seem so unaffected by his first time with a same sex partner. That said, I can understand that if more of the processing of the event was done, it could detract from the storyline. It's a thought-provoking read. I liked it. I think most troubling for me was the decline of books being relevant. Most traumatic line in the book for me? "What's a Library?"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Social Media Central.

April 8, 2018 – Started Reading