Julie 's Reviews > The Recipe Box

The Recipe Box by Viola Shipman

bookshelves: 2018, contemporary-fiction, heartwarming, e-book, overdrive

The Recipe Box by Viola Shipman is a 2018 Thomas Dunne Books publication.

Sweet, tender and heartwarming-

This book just has that summertime feel to it. Sam Mullins always had an urge to break free from her family’s traditions. She wanted to fly far away from Michigan and the orchard and pie shop her parents and grandparents owned and operate. She finally escapes to New York, determined to be a premier baking chef. But, just as she lands a premium job opportunity, she quits and heads home to regroup. Her family is bewildered by her sudden appearance and she tries to keep the truth from them. Each day Sam struggles and fights with all her might against the urge to stay and continue her family’s legacy. Will she discover her real passion has been right under her nose all along or will she return to the rat race, never truly settling down long enough to achieve her goals?

"Someone once told me on my thirteenth birthday that a recipe box is the story of a family's life, of who we are, where we came from, how we got here, and where we are now"

I will warn those who are dedicated and monogamous to all things dark and twisty, or to those who can only take heartwarming stories in small doses, that this book is beyond sugary sweet. In fact, I may need a dentist to check for cavities after reading this book and drooling over all those recipes for cookies, pastries, and pies!!

Sam is a familiar type of character, one that sees things in either black or white, and carries around a hefty amount of snobbery, thinking she is just too good of a chef to lower herself to baking homemade recipes from an old recipe box passed down through the generations. She’s even a pretty big snob when it comes to romance, as well. But, her potential love interest may not have been college educated, but he is pretty darned savvy and is quite the visionary- and very, very romantic! Naturally, Sam gets put in her place a time or two, and learns many valuable lessons about life along the way- including the secret to having success and happiness all at once.

"Expectations are just preconceived resentments. You set yourself up to fail even when you don't do anything wrong"

This is just the type of book I am drawn to during the long days of summer, when the sun shines bright and relaxing days at the beach or at poolside replace strict schedules, pressure and stress. These feel good stories are so regenerative at times. I don’t want to over indulge with too many sweets, but adding a rich dessert into your diet once in a while balances things out, and often lifts and refreshes my spirit. This is a wonderful story, very light and gentle, warm and fuzzy, and sweetly sentimental.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Recipe Box.

April 8, 2018 – Shelved
June 10, 2018 – Shelved as: heartwarming
June 10, 2018 – Shelved as: e-book
June 10, 2018 – Shelved as: overdrive
June 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Loved your review, Julie! I don’t need anymore trips to the dentist than usual, but I sure do love a sugary sweet read every now and again ;) Glad you enjoyed!! 😘

Julie KAS wrote: "Loved your review, Julie! I don’t need anymore trips to the dentist than usual, but I sure do love a sugary sweet read every now and again ;) Glad you enjoyed!! 😘"

Thank you, KAS!! This book is charming, I think you'd enjoy it! 💕

Mackenzie - PhDiva Books Wonderful review, Julie!!

message 4: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Sounds yummy, great review Julie 😊

Julie Mackenzie - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie!!"

Thank you, Mackenzie!! 😊

Julie Maureen wrote: "Sounds yummy, great review Julie 😊"

Thank you, Maureen!! 😊

message 7: by Zoeytron (new)

Zoeytron I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so won't be adding this; nevertheless, your review was tasty as could be, Julie.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister You’ve made this sound incredibly enticing! 💕

Julie Zoeytron wrote: "I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so won't be adding this; nevertheless, your review was tasty as could be, Julie."

Thank you, Zoey!! 😊

message 10: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette Lovely review, Julie. Sounds sinfully rich and tasty! I do love my desserts- in moderation!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I loved your review, Julie! This was such a charming read!

message 12: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Wonderful review Julie!💖

message 13: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Wonderful review Julie!

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader & Traveling Sister wrote: "I loved your review, Julie! This was such a charming read!"

Thank you, Jennifer!! I agree! A lovely story! 😊

Julie Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review Julie!💖"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 😊

Julie Susanne wrote: "Wonderful review Julie!"

Thank you, Susanne!! 😊

message 17: by Norma (new)

Norma Oh I think I need to read this one! Love that cover and the title! Wonderful review, Julie! :-)

Julie Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Oh I think I need to read this one! Love that cover and the title! Wonderful review, Julie! :-)"

Thank you, Norma!! It's a lovely story!!

message 19: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth Wonderful review, Julie! 💗😊

message 20: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Sounds lovely...Nice review! 😉💕

Sherri Thacker One of my faves!!

message 22: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn Great review!

message 23: by Celia (new) - added it

Celia Great review, Julie. I do plan to read this. (Liked The Charm Bracelet too). At my wedding shower in 1975 (!), attendees brought their favorite recipes. I have them all still.

Julie Celia wrote: "Great review, Julie. I do plan to read this. (Liked The Charm Bracelet too). At my wedding shower in 1975 (!), attendees brought their favorite recipes. I have them all still."

Thank you, Celia! What a great idea!! Recipes are timeless, and ageless. I have my grandmother's recipe box and refer to it often.

Julie Lynn wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you, Lynn!! 😊

Julie Sherri wrote: "One of my faves!!"

This is just a lovely story!! I"m glad you enjoyed it, as well! 😊

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Sounds lovely...Nice review! 😉💕"

Thank you, TQ!! 💕

Julie Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! 💗😊"

Thank you, Mary Beth!! 💕

message 29: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Fabulous review Julie! 💙

Julie Kendall wrote: "Fabulous review Julie! 💙"

Thank you, Kendall!! 😊

JV (semi-hiatus) Great one, Julie! :) I've also been keeping a family recipe box I inherited from my grandparents and aunt. I think this would be a great read for me.

Julie JV wrote: "Great one, Julie! :) I've also been keeping a family recipe box I inherited from my grandparents and aunt. I think this would be a great read for me."

How awesome!! I love the idea of passing down family recipes from one generation to the next. I think you'd really like this book!

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy Sometimes you need a break from dark and psychological. This sounds like a good, light moodlifter. I like books with recipes, too! :) Sweet review!

Julie Amy wrote: "Sometimes you need a break from dark and psychological. This sounds like a good, light moodlifter. I like books with recipes, too! :) Sweet review!"

Thank you, Amy!! I have to take a break from darker books from to time, too. This is a sweet, feel good story!