Kim's Reviews > Once Upon a Sure Thing

Once Upon a Sure Thing by Lauren Blakely

bookshelves: 4-5-stars, faves-of-2018

4.5+ stars
This is the story of the middle brother in the Heartbreakers trio, Miller. He has been entertaining himself as best as he can since their brother band broke up, but still has a void in his life without consistent music. But he covers it up by being he happy-go-lucky, energetic, funny, and playful guy.

His best friend, Ally, is doing her best to take care of her niece and to be an independent, good role model. She is smart, loving, and dependable. Miller is the comic relief in her life, but he has also always been there for her and her niece. She has her own past history with music and also misses it. And she is looking for opportunities that could broaden her horizons and give her more financial stability as well. And when Miller starts looking for a new female singing partner, she'll just have to find a way to convince him that she can be a sultry songbird.

Once the chemistry and pent up feelings that these friends have kept buried for the past six years start to escape, it becomes harder to keep their inappropriate attraction contained. Once they see each other in a new light, that brings about a whole host of other issues. Is it real or fake? Can they contain it with rules or a default plan? Can they figure out how to navigate the changes that are coming their way, or will it make them so awkward that it affects their previously solid and easy friendship?

This is a slow-burn, sweet, funny, sexy friends-to-lovers story with a few complications. He's a man not known for being serious about life or relationships. But his fun persona also covers up the depths of his needs, wants, and feelings. She needs to make sure that her niece has the most stable and best life possible, and she is afraid to risk losing Miller from their lives. They've always had a good rapport, but now it is veering off into flirty and even naughty-land that blur all the lines. And the farther they cross them, the harder it is to figure out what will happen to them in the future. They have to weigh the risks and benefits.

Can they make a mash up of friends and lovers and partners work, or will they ruin the one sure thing in their lives?

This brings back the characters introduced in the first book, Once Upon a Real Good Time, and I enjoyed more with his brothers, Campbell and Miles, and all of the others that make up their group of friends and family. I love that even though this is a series about musicians, it is also about family, kids, and friendships. This is a low angst, fun, flirty book that put a big smile on my face. I am looking forward to Miles' book next!

I received this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Follow Me: Reviews by Tammy & Kim (Rachel and Jay) | Facebook | Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Sure Thing.

April 7, 2018 – Shelved
April 7, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
September 23, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-5-stars
September 23, 2018 – Shelved as: faves-of-2018
September 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kat (new) - added it