Poppy's Reviews > Out of Australia

Out of Australia by David J. Delaney

Nov 14, 2011

David J. Delaney, winner of the 2011 Reed Writers and Port Douglas Gazette Competition for two years in a row, is the perfect poet to introduce a foreigner to the Australia that he loves.

In the style of a medieval troubador, Delaney celebrates the natural beauties of the land, his love for his family, his observations gathered from driving a big rig for many miles, the people he has met along the way, and the nature he has encountered. OUT OF AUSTRALIA also describes his journey as a poet and encompasses the years from 2007 to the present. Beginning with the poem THE LAND I LOVE, Delaney delights us with his rambles through the outback and the reflections he shares. Poems like Swagman's Tale, Truck Driving Poet, Colors of Cairns add to our understanding of this special land.

But Delaney shares more than his own Australia. We get a peek into his mind, his desires, his political views, his sorrows and his joys, his hopes for the future and his dedication to writing. One poem is entitled: My Poetry. It begins: For farmers toiling fertile land/working hours with calloused hand/overcoming life's adversity/providing for humanity/For you-I write my poetry. Another section of OUT OF AUSTRALIA consists of sonnets he has written after first discovering the Shakespearean sonnet form in 2009. Delaney opens his world and his mind to his readers, and the honesty he displays will warm your heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Australia.

message 1: by David (last edited Nov 15, 2011 03:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Delaney Thank you so much Poppy, I'm so happy you enjoy my humble poetry.(-:

message 2: by Carmel (new)

Carmel Great review David, you should be proud:)