Richard Derus's Reviews > Oh. My. Gods.

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

3920693

liked it

This YA novel of losing one's identity, being forced to adapt to a highly charged new emotional environment, and redefining what love and friendship mean to you is a cute, nicely thought out romp.

Greek gods, we all know, are myths. Right? Well, not so much in Childs's book. She's updated the whole "gods are real" trope that's so popular in romantic fiction these days to include teens. I think the intended audience will lap this up, since it plays into adolescent exceptionalism (the illusion that we are special and unique among our fellow creatures, but unrecognized).

This is Childs's first novel, and it has some first-novel-y clanks (eg, the mother and stepfather are simply not developed at all, and they're frankly badly drawn; the better solution would have been to have them not appear at all except in the main character's reports of their doings). But the main character, Phoebe, and her antagonists are all given snappy dialogue and put in situations much like the ones I remember being in during my adolescence back in the dark ages. The additional level of effort required of the author to incorporate the idea of the reality of the Greek pantheon pays off in humorous possibilities for supernatural pranking. That was fun.

I think Childs will be a fun writer to watch over the next few years, as she seems to be getting good editorial advice and help. I hope she'll keep taking it and getting even better than she is now. Recommended to anyone who needs to take a vacation from serious stuff. Do not read if whimsy-challenged, or of a dour temperament.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oh. My. Gods..

Started Reading