Kelly/yllektra's Reviews > Creatura

Creatura by Nely Cab

Creatura is a book that is wonderfully written and I think anyone into this genre, or anyone who wants to dabble in it should read.

Nely Cab certainly has a way with words and I found myself really daydreaming while reading the story.
The description over Isis's torment in the beginning was so vivid and emotional I really felt for her and the whole thing with her nightmares was compelling.

Isis is a 17-year-old girl who is growing up with her mother, who is also quite young. Isis is level-headed, practical and responsible, but for the past three months she has been suffering from a severe case of insomnia, not because she cannot fall asleep, but because when she sleeps she always finds herself in an unfamiliar field in front of a scary creature who keeps growling at her. What's a girl to do? I would wake up in a sweat too.
Her mother insists she sees a therapist, which she does, her best friends' father and he advises her to stay in the dream long enough to take control and confront the monster.
Isis does exactly that, even scared as she was, and she is surprised to realize that it's not a monster, but a 17-year-old looking boy, David, who as he admits himself isn't exactly a boy or 17.
Isis thinks this could be the end of it and that she had just one final hallucination of shorts, till she sees David at school.

She questions her sanity at first, but as he continues to get close to her and flirt her in his own charming and gentlemanly way, she also questions the wall she has put around her heart after the bitter breakup with her old boyfriend who left her behind after going to college on a scholarship.

Things aren't easy, because she is a mortal who has somehow gained the ability to enter another "realm" the realm that gods dwell. As they try to solve the mystery, David introduces her to his family and I have to admit it was pretty wonderful. They were all striking and likable characters, even their father who at first wanted to kill Isis.

The whole journey in the book and the revelation in the end was really great and I was fascinated by the prospect of meeting Isis' real father and seeing what's there.

Alas I have to wait for the next book...but I can do that... I think!! lol :P

Thanks to Nely Cab for sending me a copy!!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creatura.

November 14, 2011 – Shelved