Cathy's Reviews > Trail of Lightning

Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse

liked it
bookshelves: read-2018

Well, this did not do it for me overly much. I struggled and it took me for what felt like forever to finish this. And I was glad, when I finally did.

The first person present tense and at first fairly emotionless story telling took some getting used to. I liked the story better a little further in, although I still didn‘t like the main character.

Halfway through I still didn‘t care for the characters and the plot was also not building up any speed. I was not feeling it. Started to skim a little. The plot seemed to be allover the place. The MC started to get whinier throughout and couldn‘t seem to make up her mind about anything. Which could have been fun, but wasn‘t.

The setting was reminiscent of Kate Daniels for me. More end of the world as we know it in a not-fun way. Lots of potentially great world building that wasn‘t fully explored. Same with many of the characters. Great start, but somehow they all lacked something for me. More depth, maybe.

The plot was a little too predictable for my taste. And I didn‘t like the ending. Great book cover though.

Have a look at this article, where the author answers some questions:

If you want to check out her writing before getting this book, read this free short story, which is a HUGO Award nominee:
Welcome to your Authentic Indian Experience, at https://www.apex-magazine.com/welcome...

Maybe that short story made me set my bar too high for this book.
Barely 3 stars, with a scratch and a whimper. I might pick up a sequel, if the plot sounds tempting enough. Plus I might have to find out about that ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trail of Lightning.

April 7, 2018 – Shelved
April 7, 2018 – Shelved as: maybe-baby
April 8, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 28, 2018 – Shelved as: owned-unread
August 5, 2018 – Started Reading
August 6, 2018 –
page 20
6.56% "I’m pretty good at saving myself, but even badass Diné warriors need a little help sometimes."
August 8, 2018 –
page 69
22.62% "I did not really like the beginning much. The first person present tense and fairly emotionless story telling took some getting used to. I like the story better a little further in, although I still don‘t like the main character much."
August 11, 2018 –
page 122
40.0% "„I run, chasing something unseen up the side of a pine-covered mountain. Or through a red-walled rock canyon. Or across a sagebrush-swept mesa. In each dream I am alone, just me and the object of my pursuit.“"
August 13, 2018 –
page 152
49.84% "This is not doing much for me. I don‘t care for the characters and the plot is also not building up any speed. I am not feeling it. Started to skim a little."
August 15, 2018 –
page 201
65.9% "“And all I had to do was promise her my soul as payment.”
“You got off cheap,” I mutter. “She took my coffee.”
"