Gloria Mundi's Reviews > The Shadow Reader

The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams

Nov 14, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fae, urban-fantasy, war, love-triangle-tick, series-abandoned
Read on June 10, 2012

Weeeeeeell, this was nice.

And, of course:

But, you know what, nice is right next to this place:

Just saying.

McKenzie Lewis is a shadow reader. She can track Fae by reading the shadows they leave behind when teleporting. And that makes her valuable in a war that's going on between the Court led by king Atroth and the rebels who want to replace the king with another contender for the throne. McKenzie has been reading the shadows for the king and crushing on the king's sword master Kyol Taltrayn for the last 10 years. She is convinced that the rebels are monsters who spread misery and death in their unjustified grab for power and that the Court is made up entirely of goody goodies whose only thought is for the Realm (a separate plane of existence/world which Fae inhabit) and what's best for it. Until, that is, she is kidnapped by the rebels and realisation dawns that things may not be quite so straightforwardly black and white.

This wasn't complete dullsville. I got through the pages fast enough. It was more bland than truly boring.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad. The writing was serviceable, no one was TSTL or made me want to scream with rage, there were no creepy rapist typesthe creepy rapist types were not made into romantic interests, the story plodded along nicely, plenty of action scenes, the world building didn't have any massive holes, sort of interesting side characters.

The love triangle was pretty annoying, though. Mainly because I could barely tell the two love interests apart they were so similar, but that's not the end of the world, usually. I think the main problem was that this just didn't stand out in any way and completely failed to stir my imagination/mind/nether regions. I just didn't care about what was happening or any of the characters. I'll probably still read the sequel but for now, the only memorable thing about this book for me is that the cover should definitely win the rear of the year award.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Reader.