Rebecca's Reviews > Lanny

Lanny by Max Porter

Lanny is the kind of odd kid who asks questions like “Which do you think is more patient, an idea or a hope?” and builds a bower in the woods “for the whole village and anyone who finds it … to make them fall in love with everything.” His mum Jolie, a crime writer, celebrates Lanny’s uniqueness, but his dad Robert, “a lean mean commuting machine” and fairly stereotypical laddish sort, doesn’t really understand him. Jolie arranges for Lanny to have art lessons from Pete, whom many in the village mostly affectionately refer to as Mad Pete. But when Lanny goes missing a witch hunt ensues, unearthing a lot of the ugliness that was buried underneath the villagers’ everyday quirkiness – as put across in the fragments of their speech that Dead Papa Toothwort, a sort of incarnation of the quintessentially English figure of the Green Man, hears as he rambles around the edges of the village. These snatches of speech reminded me of the style of Lincoln in the Bardo. Inventive, certainly, but by the end I found myself wondering, what was the point of it all? [Warning: gratuitous scene of violence towards an animal.]

Favorite lines:

“he’s not a normal child, he is Lanny Greentree, our little mystery … he had a kind of magic, we all accepted he was enigmatic and special.”

the coy introduction to the last few pages: “False things, endings. Sustenance for fools and never what they claim to be. Nevertheless.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lanny.

April 7, 2018 – Shelved
March 20, 2019 – Shelved as: nature
March 20, 2019 – Shelved as: anglophiles-delight
March 27, 2019 – Shelved as: no-speech-marks
March 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Eleanor Same - I thought this was beautiful, yet closed it thinking "...and?"

Rebecca Eleanor wrote: "Same - I thought this was beautiful, yet closed it thinking "...and?""

I definitely preferred his first book.

message 3: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara I could not even finish it.

Rebecca Tara wrote: "I could not even finish it."

I only read about 10 pages a day, so it was never too onerous, and yet somewhat unsatisfying as a whole.

message 5: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara I have so many books to read, I decided not to try. Glad you were able to finish.