The BookChick 's Reviews > Once Burned

Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

6190526

bookshelves: 5-star-read, recommend-to-others, read-again, vampires, jeaniene-frost

Book Blurb:
She's a mortal with dark powers...

After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: terrifying powers that let her channel electricity and learn a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire...

He's the Prince of Night...

Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all—but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him—a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites between them, threatening to consume them both. It will take everything that they are to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.

My Thoughts...No spoilers here:
Another absolutely stellar story from Jeaniene Frost. I could not put this book down and read it in one setting.

In it, we glean more of Vlad's history and character (one part cocky, one part suave, and every part demanding). Vlad is the total package and alpha male to the core.Beating Heart Leila is sarcastic and witty and has moxie to share. She challenges Vlad at every turn and is no shrinking violet. They are definite equals in power and personality.

Vlad is briefly visited by characters from the Night Huntress Universe, Mencheres/Kira and Cat/Bones, but their appearance is not integral to the story. Vlad and Leila are both very strong characters so their story does not require major support from these characters, although it was nice to see them briefly.

I love how Frost merged historical facts with fiction to create a story that was both compelling and engaging. Her patented humor shines through it as usual.

This was a total 6-star read for me. I can't wait until 2013 to read more!!!
A note of caution: Once Burned is part of it's own series so readers will not get a clean HEA at the end of this story. However, never fear, Frost does give readers a HFN...enough to sustain us and keep us panting for the next one :).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Burned.

November 14, 2011 – Shelved
May 26, 2012 – Started Reading
May 26, 2012 –
0.0% "Just got my ARC copy in the mail and starting to read it.........NOW."
page 64
18.5% "Loving this book so far. Leila just said that she was 'Team Vlad' all the ready. I love how feisty and smart she is. She's got moxy."
page 104
30.06% "Loving this story."
page 140
page 185
53.47% "Almost another chapter 32 here. Steamy! I need to smoke a cigarette now....LOL."
page 230
66.47% "I really should savor this story and read only a few chapters at a time but it's just soooooo good."
page 270
page 325
May 26, 2012 – Finished Reading
June 13, 2012 – Shelved as: 5-star-read
June 13, 2012 – Shelved as: read-again
June 13, 2012 – Shelved as: recommend-to-others
June 13, 2012 – Shelved as: vampires
June 13, 2012 – Shelved as: jeaniene-frost

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer OMG Bookie - I can't wait to read this. I am so glad that it lived up to your expectations!!!! Squeeeeee!!!!!

Jennifer☠Pher☠ I have no idea how I missed this review! Great as always, can't wait to read it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

t'irla ~The Bookslayer~ t'irla's Talk Book Blog ok...ok..now this is just rubbing salt in the wound....I think you could have waited until your besties could read the book too.....*pout*

archdandy :O How did you get a copy of this book already?! I'm dying to read it.

The BookChick Luck Jen...pure luck.

archdandy I was super excited about this book already but now you have me even more excited with this almost chapter 32! Ahh, only a little big longer of a wait.

archdandy Okay I just finished this book and I enjoyed a lot (obviously, I gave it 5 stars). But I didn't find any of the chapters to resembles the notorious chapter 32 from Cat and Bone's series. Can anyone tell me which chapter was supposed to be like that one?

The BookChick Jen wrote: "Okay I just finished this book and I enjoyed a lot (obviously, I gave it 5 stars). But I didn't find any of the chapters to resembles the notorious chapter 32 from Cat and Bone's series. Can anyone..."

chapter 23 was reminiscent but not exact.

archdandy Yeah I figured it was probably that one. There weren't really a lot of sex scenes in this book compared to some of her other books. I guess in my opinion it just didn't match up to the sexyness of chapter 32, haha.