Emma's Reviews > The Journey of Little Charlie

The Journey of Little Charlie by Christopher Paul Curtis

Oh Christopher Paul Curtis, can you do no wrong? Perhaps, but I didn't find any in this book! I was gripped right from the beginning by Charlie's voice. In my uneducated opinion, Curtis nails the dialect from the first sentence. What would this book be without Charlie's narration in his dialect? It would still be good, but the dialect develops the character even more than his actions do, and is one of the best things about the book. It is gives the reader a fuller picture of Charlie's way of viewing and interpreting the world. I did not find the dialect difficult to read, but I can imagine that some readers (both young and old) would find it a challenge. But it is worth it!

My only reservation about this book is that Curtis does not sugarcoat or glide past the horrors of slave catching. He certainly doesn't glorify it or go into more detail than is necessary, but it can be difficult to stomach at times. Yet, I think that is part of what made this book so gripping. Not that I was enthralled with the violence, but it creates a weight to the story that makes you take it more seriously than just another middle grade historical fiction book.

This review really doesn't the book justice because I can't figure out how to say all the good things I want to say about it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journey of Little Charlie.