Luis's Reviews > Trumpocracy: The Corruption of the American Republic

Trumpocracy by David Frum

liked it
bookshelves: current-events, history, political-corruption, politics

Our democracy is dying in degrees, observes Frum. His intent: to scrutinize what he calls Trump's "rulership", his "power", how it came to be, how it has been used, and why his actions have gone unchecked. He draws on reporting of his own and a variety of other media sources to explore the Trump machine that enables and supports the current administration. The system is rigged alright, but not like Trump sees it; it's rigged in his favor as the GOP move ahead with voter suppression efforts, gerrymandering, and the constant assault on the truth, and the dismantling of the guardrails designed to help safeguard our democracy against our worst impulses and persistent unaddressed cultural tensions.

I am no fan of Frum's political leanings but he had much to say that I found myself agreeing with. However, in the first chapter where he goes into the events that lead up to Trump, he seems to have willfully ignored the trend towards zero-sum game politics that was nurtured primarily in the right by folks like Newt Gingrich. The upset to the rules-based political order our country has enjoyed for over two centuries started were evident over 40 years ago and not 1992 as Frum claims. I admit there was a level of arbitrariness from Democrats in recent decades, but the right began to take on the view that compromise was a losing proposition and historical events back this. No mention of McCain who, by appealing to Tea Party sentiments in the person of Sarah Palin, was also responsible for shifting the center of the GOP further to the fringe paving the way for a Trump postfact future.

Striking how Frum seems to contradict (by the in the last chapter of the book) his initial assessment that Trump is but a symptom of a disease in the American polity; an illness that --Frum notes-- is enabled by a conservative entertainment complex, the GOP party, Trump surrogates, Trump's advisors, and many of his defenders controlling the pace and status of the news cycle furthering the cause of what might be the most, corrupt, erratic and unprincipled administration in modern American history.

Trump has ushered in a culture of impunity ravaged by corruption that is despoiling America of the values of our American Creed. Instead of emptying the swamp as he promised, Trump has fomented "a repressive kleptocracy, led by rulers motivated by greed rather than by the deranged idealism of Hitler or Stalin, or Mao." Trump is not to anyone but himself. He has publically and privately betrayed members of his cabinet and all those who trusted he would fulfill his campaign promises. Trump's model of governance rests "not on deregulation but on nonregulation, not on deconstructing the state but on breaking the state in order to plunder the state."

Not only is Trumpocracy furthered by Trumps closest allies and friends; even worse, his power also comes from his control over an increasing number of Americans, especially on the right, who support his hatred of a free, skeptical, and cantankerous press. Through his vile and deceitful rhetoric, Trump has successfully managed to wall in his supporters in an alternate information universe by dehumanizing the press, designating it an enemy of the people while siding with a Russian autocrat bent on undermining the legitimacy of all Western democracies. By accusing millions of fraudulent voting, he has also managed to further efforts to restrict. Trumpocracy is an autoimmune disorder evidenced by an unprecedented level of dysfunctionality and corruption we witness mostly in banana republic territory. America is not immune and it's time we wake to this reality. Sadly, this book will be read mostly by those already familiar --and in agreement-- with much of what Frum has to provide in this brief and crisp piece of prose. I am more afraid of how far the GOP is willing to go to maintain its grip on power. Frum makes the frightening observation that GOP will abandon democracy before ever abandoning their brand of conservativism. So how can we build a space for consensus? Frum words no balm for those weary with the current state of polarization nor a solution to the susceptible tensions Trump capitalized on to further white resentment. Frum argues there is still room for hope and lists some pretty convincing reasons. But will these be enough to pull us back from the precipice? Perhaps.

After all of Frum's analysis, I was surprised in his unwillingness to admit the level of responsibility the Republican Party holds. The party has been paving the way for the Trump presidency and the party's demeanor under Obama, as well as the Bush Jr. years, made this very evident. Frum says Trump "imprinted upon his party his own prejudices, corruption, and ignorance" but from where I stand there is sufficient reason of public record to conclude that Trump is a symptom that reflects the absence of the values that shaped and served as foundations of our American creed and which the Republican Party outspokenly chose to reject. Trump is an example of what happens when some unprincipled men of power and an ignorant poorly informed polity, put party and tribe over the best interests of a nation founded on the enlightenment ideals we call the American democratic experiment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trumpocracy.

April 6, 2018 – Shelved
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
September 3, 2018 – Started Reading
September 6, 2018 –
page 11
September 6, 2018 –
page 11
3.65% "Frum does consider the full historical record of the obstructionism that became the hallmark of the Republican Party. He also fails to mention McCain’s harm to the Republican Party by appealing to the fringe vi the person Sarah Palin which in many ways parted the waters for the entry of Trump into the leadership of the GOP and eventually the presidency."
September 10, 2018 –