abby's Reviews > Leah on the Offbeat

Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary

Is it possible for an author to write fanfiction of her own book? Because I'm pretty sure that's what I just read. This book went in a direction that many of Becky Albertalli's fans have been clamoring for and will no doubt enjoy. But readers who aren't invested in that specific endgame might find very little to love in Leah on the Offbeat. Not even Simon can save it.

It's difficult to give this book a proper review, because the major story line is being treated like a spoiler. It's involves a romance between Leah and another character, but I can't be more specific than that without giving away the farm.

What I can tell you, is that as a reader who loved Albertalli's debut novel, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, I really hated how the author had to rewrite so many aspects of that book to make this new story work. It's a personal pet peeve of mine when book series move the goalposts. It probably bothered me more here than usual because I love the original incarnation of these characters so much. Many of them are unrecognizable in this book, and Nick gets a straight up smear job. The trade off-- Leah's romance-- wasn't worth it to me. It felt fan-driven rather than organic.

I look forward to forgetting this book ever happened.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leah on the Offbeat.

April 6, 2018 – Shelved
April 6, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 24, 2018 – Started Reading
April 24, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
April 24, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
April 24, 2018 –
page 118
34.4% "Not really happy with the direction this is heading. I feel like Albertalli let her fans write her book for her."
April 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)

message 1: by Skye (new)

Skye Kilaen Oh wow, that's a cautionary note.

abby Skye wrote: "Oh wow, that's a cautionary note."

Yeah, it's a good example of why you don't let your fans write your books for you. I'm still mourning the destruction of Nick (who had to be sacrificed to make the plot work).

Jennifer Nooooooooooooo

This was my weekend reading. Now I'm sad.

abby Jennifer wrote: "Nooooooooooooo

This was my weekend reading. Now I'm sad."

Fear not! Most people loved this book. I'm in the minority here.

Jennifer abby wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Nooooooooooooo

This was my weekend reading. Now I'm sad."

Fear not! Most people loved this book. I'm in the minority here."

I'll try to keep my expectations low, just because I hate it when an author changes a previous book just so they can make it fit with another one.

Kristina I agree with you 100%. Great review.

Brittany 100% agree.

abby Kristina wrote: "I agree with you 100%. Great review."

Thanks :)

abby Brittany wrote: "100% agree."

I feel so less alone now :)

Samantha (WLABB) Though I am enjoying the story, I am glad I am not alone in the things I am feeling.

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin Agree! I’m still trying to figure out who the Leah from this book is in comparison to the Leah from “Simon”. :/

Kayleighhokis I agree with this review. It was cute if you forget everything about Simon Vs... and think of it as a complete standalone. Which it isn’t, so, womp womp.

Laurie ITA.

Katie My feelings are the exact same! I feel that so much of plot/characters that was established in Simon was completely changed to accommodate the romance in this book. I wish a whole new character was created to be Leah’s love interest.

Samantha (WLABB) Katie wrote: "My feelings are the exact same! I feel that so much of plot/characters that was established in Simon was completely changed to accommodate the romance in this book. I wish a whole new character was..."

Yes! It just messed with a dynamic I was a fan of.

Emily Fan Fiction is exactly how to describe it. Super disappointed in this one.

Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight I just finished that book and I'm sitting here with this hole of disappointment in my chest. I don't know if I'll ever be able to read Simon vs. again properly. Or, heck, even watch the movie.

message 18: by Judy (new)

Judy Sometimes it just doesn't work

message 19: by abby (new) - rated it 2 stars

abby Judy wrote: "Sometimes it just doesn't work"

So true!

Tyrone Nicko I thought I was tge only one who felt like reading a fanfiction. lol

message 21: by Anna (last edited May 01, 2018 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anna I agree 100% with you! I thought I was going to just forget about this book and everything that happened in it but I feel like it’s ruining even a Simon’s book for me a little which is simply unacceptable. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda is my ultimate comfort read. Just so disappointed in Becky.

message 22: by abby (new) - rated it 2 stars

abby Anna wrote: "I agree 100% with you! I thought I was going to just forget about this book and everything that happened in it but I feel like it’s ruining even a Simon’s book for me a little which is simply unacc..."

No! I cannot let this ruin Simon's book for you! That would be so sad. Try it again in a few weeks and see if you feel better :).

message 23: by Heli (new) - rated it 3 stars

Heli of Vere Thanks the Gods I'm not the only one who didn't like it. Your review could have been written by me for sure. 100% accurate.

message 24: by M. (new)

M. Took the words right out of my mouth, except I didn't like the writing in Simon vs. either

message 25: by Alex (new) - rated it 3 stars

Alex agreed. this just doesn't fit the characters as they were written in Simon, or even the pieces of them that were in Upside of Unrequited. I am totally disappointed in the relationship this book forces

Katherine My thoughts exactly. It's literally Simon fanfic. I'm seriously wondering if one; she wrote it, and two; if anyone read it before publishing it.

Kjerstin Lie thanks for putting my thoughts into words!

katwiththehat I had some of these same sentiments while reading. I could enjoy the book overall as a standalone, and there were some really sweet moments with Simon... but I felt like it was such a departure from what had been established in terms of the characters and their relationships that it made it hard to feel like a part of canon.

Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight katwiththehat wrote: "I had some of these same sentiments while reading. I could enjoy the book overall as a standalone, and there were some really sweet moments with Simon... but I felt like it was such a departure fro..."

That was how I felt. As a standalone, I could understand it, but given the previous book I was sorely disappointed.

message 30: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim M I TOTALLY AGREE 100% YES. I was literally thinking that this book felt like fan fiction and didn't think Leah's romance was worth what happened to Nick!

Megan Martinez I agree 100% with this!!

Sophia Istari Definitely felt like a fanfiction. Would have been so much better, if Leah´s loveinterest had not been an already established character...It just felt unrealistic. I loved Simon vs.the Homo Sapiens Agenda, but in this one unfortunately he felt out of Character at some points and he was actually one of the reasons I read this book in the first place since I never really cared about Leah, or Nich, or Abby...

Fuzaila ~ is on hiatus So glad to see one negative review. I was disheartened by this book. Great review!

Capri (BookABoo) Agreed completely. I don’t think she even had the intention of writing them as love interests . Until she saw fans pining about said characters then she just used it as a plot I’m sad 😭

Maria A million Yeses!! Is that a word? I can’t even begin to properly express my disappointment with Leah’s character.

message 36: by Mel (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mel I’m reading this book despite reading your review before I started and I can so agree with everything you said.

message 37: by Beth (new) - rated it 2 stars

Beth Gea I agree with you. I loved the first book, hated this one. I only went on because I wanted to see more Simon and was like: Leah, step aside, let me see the others, I don't care about you.

message 38: by Warda (new) - rated it 1 star

Warda This is so accurate. Definitely want to forget about it.

Saida Sukman I am so glad I wasn't the only one who thought this

Pamela McLeod You've hit the nail right on the head.

Jennifer I completely agree. I loved all the characters in Simon, but came to really dislike Leah and Abby in this one, and how they played with people's feelings and were both so selfish.

Marian The treatment of Nick alone - and the condescending wrap up in the last few pages - is enough to ruin this book for me.

Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight I’ve tried to see how I would’ve liked this if it was separate from Simon vs., but I can’t do that.

Mikayla Accurate to a point that I wanna cry

message 45: by Roni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Roni Kedma Exactly!!!

Michal Lynn I 100% felt the same way about everything you said.

Anuszka Gojke Oh my god, same! The ending just felt so rushed and completely out of the blue. I didn't even know who the hell Nick ended up as in this book but it certainly wasn't the same character that he was in Simon. So disappointing.

Silvi THIS

Sarah Eliason Ugh. Yes, yes, yes!!!!!!!!!! The whole book felt just WRONG to me - like she was trying to smoosh it into the mold that fans were clamoring for; very square peg, very round hole. I felt like all the Drarry talk was somehow saying, “This is what I’m going to do with the Simon characters, even though I didn’t initially write them that way.”