Naomi Hughes's Reviews > Afterimage

Afterimage by Naomi Hughes

(Review from the author)

Hey! I'm the author, Naomi Hughes. Nice to meet you! I'm so honored you're interested in (or have already read) Afterimage. In case you haven't yet read it, I wanted to use this space to include a few notes and trigger warnings that I didn't get the chance to include in the book.

First: this book is ownvoices for panic disorder, a type of anxiety disorder in which a person has panic attacks which then generate a deep-seated fear of having more panic attacks, which leads to--you guessed it--actually having more panic attacks. It's exactly as sucky as it sounds.

Camryn, my main character, is lucky. She's got a therapist and a supportive and well-informed family. She was diagnosed soon after the cycle of panic attacks began. Many real-life people aren't nearly so fortunate; it can take years or decades for anxiety disorders to be properly diagnosed and treated, and even then sometimes they're hard for family and friends to understand. It's my hope that by portraying panic disorder in my story, readers with anxiety will feel seen and everyone else will understand this type of disorder a little bit better.

Now, on to the trigger warnings! This book can get intense but isn't particularly dark or gritty, and maintains a hopeful tone throughout. However, there are some scenes and events that might cause some people anxiety. Some of these will contain spoilers and I'll mark those as such. A quick note before we get started: although this list is as comprehensive as I can make it, it's likely I'll miss some things, either through oversight or simply because I miss something that doesn't trigger me but might trigger others.

Trigger warnings:
-Explosions that result in massive casualties
-Death of family members by (view spoiler)
-Deep grief related to the above
-Protagonist has potential hallucinations (completely unrelated to her anxiety disorder)
-Political protestors who threaten violence
-Blackmail
-Characters using CPR (view spoiler)
-Gun violence
-Hand-to-hand violence
-A villain who commits and attempts to justify (view spoiler)
-Violence via sci-fi technology
-Government (view spoiler)
-Protagonist being forced to consider (view spoiler)
-Characters nearly drowning
-Characters being arrested
-(view spoiler)

That's it! Thanks so much again for your interest in this story; it was a lot of fun to write, and I hope you enjoy it. If you do enjoy it, maybe check out this other book I wrote--a standalone YA sci-fi titled Refraction, which features OCD, bromance, and creepy monsters that crawl out of mirrors.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask over in the "ask the author" section of my author page on Goodreads.

Best,
Naomi
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Afterimage.

Finished Reading