Shanyn (Chick Loves Lit)'s Reviews > Unraveling Isobel

Unraveling Isobel by Eileen Cook

Nov 13, 2011

I should pay more attention to the blurbs of books, honestly. Lisa McMann calls Unraveling Isobel creepy? How could I not listen to that?

I went into this book assuming it was generally about Isobel and her possible mental illness, not knowing that I was going to be so scared that I would only read this in the daytime. Yes, the summary does mention ghosts, but there are different ways for ghosts to be written about. Here's a warning: Eileen Cook knows how to scare the pants off of you. Or that's true if you're a wuss like me, at least. There's a reason I don't read much in the thriller genre.

Overall, minus the feeling scared bits, I did enjoy Unraveling Isobel. I enjoyed Cook's writing style, and the plot kept moving along at a nice pace. It's a mix of thriller and mystery, so as you work your way through the book as a reader you get to work out clues and coincidences with Isobel. Some are easy to figure out and some are not, so even the most sleuth-y will be entertained (plus, it's slightly harder to be a detective when things like possible ghosts/mental illness are involved).

I fully intend on picking up Cook's first novel now, as I know I enjoy her writing style. I also intend on paying more attention to obvious references to creepy in the future. (Or everyone could make it easier on me and make the titles very obvious. Like Anna Dressed in Blood.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unraveling Isobel.

November 13, 2011 – Shelved
December 10, 2011 – Started Reading
December 14, 2011 –
page 150
49.34% "This is so scary :("
December 18, 2011 –