Petra Eggs's Reviews > Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Perfume by Patrick Süskind

Nov 13, 2011

bookshelves: fiction, reviewed
Read from November 13 to 14, 2011

Original story, well-written, a bit creepy, a lot silly, morality turned on its head for sex and drugs, it put me in mind that it was the Pied Piper in reverse. Not an exact analogy, just what it put in my mind.

I've just downloaded the film. It will be interesting to see how much humanity is allowed Grenouille.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfume.

message 1: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I'm looking forward to reading your review for this one, Petra. I read part of this one a couple of years ago. The writing was very good, but it was just TOO creepy for me!

Petra Eggs Jeanette wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading your review for this one, Petra. I read part of this one a couple of years ago. The writing was very good, but it was just TOO creepy for me!"

It was very creepy, but only in the sense of fairy tales. The Pied Piper of Hamelin led all the children to their deaths (not in the Disney version).

message 3: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Interesting comparison. I didn't know that about the real Pied Piper story. I just remember learning that he lured them away from their homes.

Parthiban Sekar The movie is disappointing... How do you find it?

Petra Eggs Parthiban wrote: "The movie is disappointing... How do you find it?"

Same as you, disappointing. The director's vision of the story was not mine at all, nor, I think, the author's.