Calista's Reviews > Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book One

Y by Brian K. Vaughan

I have a lot to say about this. I have basically two feelings, two minds and two reviews. The short, part of me was very entertained by this and part of me kept screaming this is stupid.

I actually wrote a story on this subject(obviously not published a few years back with something just like this premise. I didn't know this existed.) so I have thought a lot about this. There is a lot of questions about what is going on in the story and there are many answers to be had so I don't understand what is really happening. The story is very well written, well scripted and the artwork is nice. It is doing it's job well.

Here's the thing. Women hold life as sacred. They are not going to try and wipe out the species. They would not be trying to kill the last man. Women usually rule in groups in a matriarchy. They aren't as power hungry though that is there. There would be general bitchy-ness, but the roving groups of man hating women bent on killing off humanity. That is absurd. So the story is extremely entertaining yet stupid. Women would not be bent on self-destruction. The man hating in the book is ridiculous. Especially since all the men are gone but one or so. There is no reason for that anger any more.

Women would come together and help each other out. There would be little reason to compete with each other. They would be in danger of killing the man trying to get his attention and fall in love with him. That is more like it. This telling is silly and I don't think Brian is writing women well in this story. Too much physical conflict. Women's conflict is more passive aggressive and emotionally abusive. I know there would be women who were mentally crazy and they could cause harm and danger, but women would come together and bond I believe.

So, this novel is able to bring all this out and cause me to think, so it's doing it's job. I think it is very entertaining and I gave it a high score even while thinking the author has it all wrong and this is all wrong. I still got my money's worth, so I am excited to read more and see why the women want the last man dead and end the human race. I doubt he will be able to sell it to men, but it will be entertaining in the process.

The prostitutes and strippers were all out of jobs. Isn't that interesting to think about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Y.

April 5, 2018 – Started Reading
April 12, 2018 – Shelved as: series-unfinished
April 12, 2018 – Shelved as: women
April 12, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 14, 2018 – Shelved as: z-brian-k-vaughan

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Ill (new)

Ill D I've heard alot of polarizing opinions on this one.

message 2: by Jayson (last edited Apr 13, 2018 03:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jayson Excellent review! Going all-in on a hypothetical will almost always engender strong opinion (pardon the pun), but as you rightly point out, as long as it's done well you can at the very least appreciate the skill, in spite of whatever details you might disagree with.

Calista Ill wrote: "I've heard alot of polarizing opinions on this one."

I can see why they would be polarizing. Thanks for sharing lll

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew "The short, part of me was very entertained by this and part of me kept screaming this is stupid."

Yeah - its very entertaining, but definite seems stupid at points. I often wonder if it is stupid on purpose. A lot of what seems stupid feels like it is poking a bear to get people thinking about gender roles and opinions.

Great review!

Calista Jayson wrote: "Excellent review! Going all-in on a hypothetical will almost always engender strong opinion (pardon the pun), but as you rightly point out, as long as it's done well you can at the very least appre..."

Jayson! Thank you for your words. I appreciate you sharing.

Calista Matthew wrote: ""The short, part of me was very entertained by this and part of me kept screaming this is stupid."

Hi Matthew. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and taking the time to converse. I appreciate it.

message 7: by Joe (new)

Joe Krakovsky Sounds really different. If I was a very young teen, I would grab this book up in a heartbeat. Imagine being the only guy in a world full of women and having a pet monkey to boot. But being married to my sweet wife who still remembers her martial arts training, I will say this book is dumb. But not your review, Calista.

Calista Joe wrote: "Sounds really different. If I was a very young teen, I would grab this book up in a heartbeat. Imagine being the only guy in a world full of women and having a pet monkey to boot. But being married..."

haha, you make me laugh Joe. Thanks for sharing:)