Jessie Seymour's Reviews > A Pack of Blood and Lies

A Pack of Blood and Lies by Olivia Wildenstein

bookshelves: arcs, signed-copies, review-copy

I received a copy for an honest review

I gave this book 4 stars. While I enjoyed it and got through it fairly quickly, I found that it still wasn’t my favorite of the author's works. There were a lot of parts that dragged a little bit in this. However, there was also a lot to be said about the action. The parts I did like far outweigh what I didn’t like about the novel.

This story is about a girl named Ness who was taken away from her home at an early age by her mother. She’s lived away from everything she’s known for years and has become incredibly self-reliant, until one day she is dragged back by her uncle and his family. This novel contained one of my personal favorite tropes. A girl runs/sent away and is then brought back to a life she no longer knows how to live and has to confront her past in an epic way. Winning back the friends and family from her past.

I’m a total sucker for werewolf novels and an even bigger sucker for YA werewolf romances. We don’t get a lot of those. It’s a huge romance genre thing, but we don’t get a lot of werewolf books for teenagers and every time we get one it feels like a win. I really did love that aspect of it.

Another trope that I’m a total sucker for that was present in this book was the trials. I am the worlds biggest sucker for competitions and female characters showing how badass they are. I just really like competitions, it’s probably why I loved the Hunger Games so much. If you too like books with heated competitions then I think you would enjoy this.

From what I know of the author's previous work, I feel like there is going to be a very specific plot twist that is going to happen in the second book. A part of me does believe that this author could repeat a plot twist from one of her previous series’, but another part of me also can’ believe that this could happen with this specific set of characters. I really don’t know.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Pack of Blood and Lies.

April 5, 2018 – Shelved