Sebastian Gebski's Reviews > The Wall of Storms

The Wall of Storms by Ken Liu

Damn it. After the stunning book #1 I was sure that it's just not possible to keep this quality level in book #2. And apparently, I was wrong.

Book has its lows, but if it occasionally lacks, it succeeds in compensating. Beginning is great - likeable, positive, encouraging, intriguing, then it slows down to dangerous level, just to gain sufficient dynamics so you can't put it away until the very end.

Pros:
* story ain't over (after #1) - author has managed to create another twists of plot that are both interesting enough & realistic enough to keep reader engaged
* none of new characters meets the quality of the ones introduced in #1 (Mata, Gin, Luan, ...), but for now it's STILL ok - for sure author will have to put a lot of effort in the sequels (which I'm sure will come in time)
* world itself developers in quite an interesting direction - we get more depth, more dimensions & aspects, more troubling issues - reader doesn't get bored with a setting (s)he already knows to well
* epicness - the bar was risen ridiculously high, but Ken Liu matches it without getting ridiculous, which is (honestly) IMHO a great achievement

Cons:
* overall dramaturgy of the novel has its stalled moments ~30%, but fortunately it's compensated later
* there are very few completely NEW awesome characters that do meet potential of the ones from the previous book - it's not a good sign

I think that the best summary of this book can be stated in two comments:
* this cycle (Dandelion Dynasty) simply screams for screening -> it can be FAR better than the Game of Thrones
* Ken Liu's greatest strength is ... "reader's fulfilment" - he's an unquestionable master in crafting the story in a way that maximises pleasure from reading -> by skilful juggling of dynamics, tempo, jumping between threads, etc.

Great book. Keep rockin' Ken.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wall of Storms.

April 5, 2018 – Started Reading