BarbaraNathalie's Reviews > Travels with Charley: In Search of America

Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

F 50x66
Nov 13, 2011

Read in July, 1976

I discovered John Steinbeck through my father, who had a sizeable penchant for reading, and kept his chilcren enthralled by his voluminous stock of stories. My father had a 36 foot fishing boat which was over run with books that he stored there. It was on the Karol J. that I found Charlie, during one summer of fishing expeditions. A fourteen year old girl would rather be hanging out with her friends, so to maintain my teenaged sanity, I escaped the doldrums by wandering America with a dog in a book. Mr.Steinbeck and Charlie took me to Maine, where we met fishermen with strange accents. We travelled across the land and into the spirit of America. Charlie was a good companion who introduced the author to people he never would have met without him. Charlie loved nearly everyone, and they loved him back. The joy of being a dog, travelling with a human, is you don't uncover the blights of the human condition. John Steinbeck went out in search of America, and he found it, with all its beauty and blemishes. It's a book that made me curious, and evoked a questioning style I didn't possess as a young girl in America. All of those experiences, and both Charlie and his buddy, John Steinbeck, were already gone when I read their story, but I found them because I was on that boat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travels with Charley.